Find High Emissivity Paint for Accurate Infrared Temperature Measurements

In summary, high emissivity paint is a type of coating that is designed to emit thermal radiation and absorb thermal energy, making it ideal for use in infrared temperature measurements. It is important for accuracy in these measurements as it allows for more accurate readings of surface temperature. The paint works by having a high concentration of materials with high thermal emissivity, such as carbon or iron oxide. When choosing a high emissivity paint, factors such as material, desired level of emissivity, and intended use must be considered. However, there are limitations to using this paint, such as wear over time and compatibility with certain materials.
bobbski
I'm supposed to measure temperature with an infrared camera. But when used on materials such as gold and aluminum or iron I get false readings (the emissivity is low). To solve this problem I figured I would need a paint that gives the surface high emissivity (low-reflective).

My question is; where do I find this paint and what's it called

Engineering news on Phys.org
3M used to make a super black Solar-Absorbent coating years back, but I don't know if it ever went commercial, due to the nature of the volatile solvents.

What is high emissivity paint?

High emissivity paint is a type of coating that has been specifically designed to have a high level of thermal emissivity. This means that it can effectively emit thermal radiation and absorb thermal energy, making it ideal for use in infrared temperature measurements.

Why is high emissivity paint important for accurate infrared temperature measurements?

High emissivity paint is important for accurate infrared temperature measurements because it allows for more accurate readings of the surface temperature of an object. Without a high level of emissivity, the paint may reflect or absorb thermal energy, resulting in inaccurate temperature measurements.

How does high emissivity paint work?

High emissivity paint works by having a high concentration of materials that are able to absorb and emit thermal energy. These materials, such as carbon or iron oxide, have a high thermal emissivity, allowing them to effectively reflect and absorb thermal radiation, resulting in more accurate temperature measurements.

What factors should be considered when choosing a high emissivity paint?

When choosing a high emissivity paint, it is important to consider the type of material the paint will be applied to, the desired level of emissivity, and the intended use of the object. It is also important to ensure that the paint is compatible with the equipment used for infrared temperature measurements.

Are there any limitations to using high emissivity paint for infrared temperature measurements?

There are a few limitations to using high emissivity paint for infrared temperature measurements. The paint may wear off over time, resulting in a decrease in emissivity and accuracy of temperature readings. Additionally, the paint may not be suitable for use on certain materials, such as highly reflective surfaces, which may affect the accuracy of measurements.