1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find mass flow rate using heat differential

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An experimental power plant at the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii generates electricity from the temperature gradient of the ocean. The surface and deep-water temperatures are 25°C and 7°C respectively.

The cold water that enters the plant leaves it at a temperature of 12°C What must be the flow rate of cold water through the system? Give your answer in kg/s & L/s.

dm/dt = ?

2. Relevant equations

W = QH - QC
    e = 1 - TC / TH
    cwater = 4190 J/kg*K

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that it takes a certain amount of time to raise the water from 7°C to 12°C, but I don't know how to find that or how to relate it to a flow rate.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2013 #2
    remember what you have and what you want to know. you have ΔT, c, and P (which is Q/t) and you want kg/s (which is mass/time)....i think there is an equation for that, do you remember it? remember, your answer is going to be in kg/s.

4. Dec 13, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How much electrical power is the plant supposed to generate? That would seem to be a critical bit of information in determining how much flow is required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted