Find period of a matrix - Math Help

In summary, if you have a square matrix and you want to determine its period, you need to find the eigenvalues and determine whether the matrix is periodic.
helen01
can someone please tell me that "how period of a matrix can be determined?"

Physics news on Phys.org
helen01 said:
can someone please tell me that "how period of a matrix can be determined?"

Hey helen01 and welcome to the forums.

Can you provide some context to your question? Are you talking about periodicity with respect to Markov chains? Is it some other area? How do you define periodicity?

A square matrix A for which A power k+1=A (where k being a positive integer) is called periodic. I did not understand this definition of periodicity. I want to know that if i have a matrix and i have to determine a period then what i have to do?

Looks like Markov chains or, more generally, "discrete dynamics". We are thinking of the sequence A, A2, A3, ...

If, for some k, Ak+1= A, then set of matrices A, A2, ..., Ak repeats over and over again. That sequence is "periodic" with period k. In order that A be invertible (otherwise, each Ak(V) has lower dimension than the previous and we can never get A again) and we must have [itex]A^k= I[/itex]. That, in turn, means that we must have [itex]\lambda_i^{n_i}= 1[/itex] for every eigenvalue [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] and corresponding [itex]n_i[/itex]. The period of A is the least common multiple of all the [itex]n_i[/itex].

I believe A does not have to be invertible.
An eigenvalue of zero is also perfectly acceptable.
Consider for instance [ 0 0; 0 1].

I'd say the period of A is the lowest k such that for each eigenvalue λi of A holds that (λi)k+1i.
Btw, an extra condition is that A is diagonalizable (I'll explain if you're interested).
This includes the possibility for eigenvalues to be zero, in which case A is not invertible, but it is periodic.

I can't understand what is k? when solving the matrix what should be the value of k?
2 3 0
4 9 3
1 2 6

Your matrix A needs to be square, so you can multiply it by itself.
When you repeatedly multiply A by itself, and it comes out back as A, you have found that it is periodic.

The matrix you show is not square, so periodicity for it is not defined.

Edit: Ah, I see you made it square now.

Last edited:
How many times i multiply? is there any limit?

There's no upper limit.

Consider for instance the matrix for rotation over an angle of 1 degrees.
You need to apply it 361 times before it comes back to itself.
Its period is 360.

What you can do, is determine the eigenvalues of the matrix, and deduce from them whether the matrix is periodic and what the period will be.

helen01 said:
How many times i multiply? is there any limit?

Are you familiar with characteristic and minimal polynomials.

The determinant can give away whether it could be periodic or not.
Since det(Ak)=det(A)k, you can see that if |det(A)| is different from 0 and 1, then A can not be periodic.

Ok! as you said that my matrix is not square but i think that it is a square matrix because it has number of rows and columns equal, which is the definition of square matrix.

Homework must go in the homework section.

Related to Find period of a matrix - Math Help

1. What is the definition of the "period" of a matrix?

The period of a matrix refers to the number of times the matrix must be multiplied by itself to result in the identity matrix. In other words, it is the smallest positive integer k such that Ak = I, where A is the matrix and I is the identity matrix.

2. How do you find the period of a matrix?

The period of a matrix can be found by using the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. The period is equal to the least common multiple of the orders of the eigenvalues. Another method is to use the Cayley-Hamilton Theorem, which states that the period of a matrix is equal to the order of the matrix's characteristic polynomial.

3. Can the period of a matrix be negative or zero?

No, the period of a matrix must be a positive integer. This is because a negative or zero period would result in the identity matrix being equal to a non-invertible matrix, which is not possible.

4. Are there any special cases where the period of a matrix is known without calculation?

Yes, if the matrix is diagonalizable, then the period is equal to the highest order of its diagonal entries. Additionally, if the matrix is nilpotent (meaning it can be raised to a power and result in the zero matrix), then its period is equal to the number of times it can be multiplied by itself before reaching the zero matrix.

5. How is the period of a matrix related to its other properties?

The period of a matrix is related to its other properties such as its eigenvalues and eigenvectors, its characteristic polynomial, and its diagonalizability or nilpotency. Additionally, the period can be used to determine the stability and behavior of a dynamical system represented by the matrix.