Integrate Equation: Find Position with Initial Drag Force & Velocity

• Thread starter Ashley1nOnly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to integrate the equation V/(-g-kv) dv in order to find the position of a potato being shot up in the air with air resistance and gravity affecting it. The methods of u-substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions are discussed but deemed unsuccessful. The conversation then suggests using polynomial long division or rearranging the equation to a form that is integrable.
Ashley1nOnly

Homework Statement

I'm trying to integrate this equation so that I can find my position using my initial drag force and initial velocity.

V/(-g-kv) dv

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

U substitution won't work
Integration by parts won't work
Partial fractions won't work.
It doesn't match any trigonometric equations

I'm not sure how to integrate it.
Basically a potato is being shot up in the air with air resistance and gravity affecting it.
This is what I started with
F=ma
F=-mg-kmv
M(dv/dt)= -mg-kmv
dv/dt=-g-kv
dv/(-g-kv)=dt
well v=dx/dt so dt=dx/v

dv/(-g-kv)=dx/v
Separation of variable from D.E
Vdv/(-g-kv)=dx
Now I want to integrate the left side which I don't know how to do.Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ashley1nOnly said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to integrate this equation so that I can find my position using my initial drag force and initial velocity.

V/(-g-kv) dv

Homework Equations

Basically a potato is being shot up in the air with air resistance and gravity affecting it.
F=ma
F=-mg-kmv
M(dv/dt)= -mg-kmv
dv/dt=-g-kv
dv/(-g-kv)=dt
well v=dx/dt so dt=dx/v

dv/(-g-kv)=dx/v
Vdv/(-g-kv)=dx
Now I want to integrate the left side which I don't know how to do.Thanks for any help

Do you know have to compute the indefinite integral
$$\int \frac{dx}{x}\quad ? $$

Ln(x)

Ashley1nOnly said:
dv/(-g-kv)=dt
This is the equation you should integrate.
Are you asked to find the displacement as a function of time?

If the
V dv
-------------
(-g-kv)

If the v wasn't at the stop I could integrate it but I don't know what to do with the V at the top

I'm not given time which is why I had to use the substitution dt=dx/v. Because I am given initial velocity and k

cnh1995 said:
This is the equation you should integrate.
Are you asked to find the displacement as a function of time?
I did that integral first then realized I didn't have time so I had to take a different route

Ashley1nOnly said:
I did that integral first then realized I didn't have time so I had to take a different route
Ok.
So,
v*dv/(g+kv)=-dx
Hint: Isolate the v in the denominator (get rid of the k attached to it).

Ashley1nOnly said:
If the
V dv
-------------
(-g-kv)

If the v wasn't at the stop I could integrate it but I don't know what to do with the V at the top

Take first out the minus sign from the denominator. Do then the substitution ##x=g+kv##.

Likes Buffu
Ashley1nOnly said:
If the
V dv
-------------
(-g-kv)

just a suggestion :- try binomial expansion on the denominator.

So I did some rearrangements and got

dv
--------- =- dx
g/v +k

Then integrating both sides I get
Ln((g/v)+k)+c=-x

Assuming c is the initial velocity

Ashley1nOnly said:

Homework Statement

V/(-g-kv) dv
First off, this isn't an equation -- an equation always has '=' somewhere in it.
Second, are V and v different quantities?
Ashley1nOnly said:

Homework Equations

Substitution will work if V and v are different. If they are different, I'm assuming that V is a constant, and v is the variable velocity. If that's the case, substitution will work.
Ashley1nOnly said:

F=ma
F=-mg-kmv
M(dv/dt)= -mg-kmv
dv/dt=-g-kv
dv/(-g-kv)=dt
well v=dx/dt so dt=dx/v

dv/(-g-kv)=dx/v
Vdv/(-g-kv)=dx
Now it appears that V and v both represent velocity, a variable. Writing both V and v in the same expression is very confusing.
Ashley1nOnly said:
Now I want to integrate the left side which I don't know how to do.
Write the equation as ##\int \frac {v~dv}{g + kv} = -\int dx##. On the left side, use polynomial long division.

Sorry when I type in the first letter it always wants to capitalize it. Well I shall search for understanding on polynomial long division. Thank you

Ashley1nOnly said:
So I did some rearrangements and got

dv
--------- =- dx
g/v +k

Then integrating both sides I get
Ln((g/v)+k)+c=-x

Assuming c is the initial velocity
That's not correct.
Try the methods in #9 and #12. If it's not too much, you can try this too.. Take the k out from the denominator and you'll have the equation in the form y*dy/(a+y). Just a simple rearrangement in the numerator and it will be integrable.

1. What is the equation used to find position with initial drag force and velocity?

The equation used is x = (v0/mg) * (1 - e^(-gt/m)) where x is the position, v0 is the initial velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How does initial velocity and drag force affect the position of an object?

The initial velocity determines the starting point of the object's motion, while the drag force acts as a resistance force that slows down the object's movement. Together, they determine the final position of the object at a given time.

3. What is the significance of the term "e" in the equation?

The term "e" is a mathematical constant known as Euler's number, approximately equal to 2.71828. It is used in the equation to represent the natural growth rate and decay of a system, in this case the position of an object.

4. What happens to the position as time increases in the equation?

As time increases, the position of the object will approach a limiting value known as the terminal position. This is the point at which the drag force and gravity are balanced, resulting in a constant velocity.

5. Can this equation be used for any object in motion or are there limitations?

This equation can be used for objects in free fall or objects experiencing a constant drag force. However, it does not take into account other factors such as air resistance or changing drag forces, so it may have limitations in more complex situations.