Find power of resistor and source in AC circuit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Same-same
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If an average power of 500W is dissipated in the 20Ω resistor, find Vrms, I S RMS, the power factor seen by the source, and the magnitude of VS
(Based on circuit in attached diagram)

Homework Equations



Pave= Irms*Vrms*pf*[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
Imaginary number referred to as "j", not "i".

The Attempt at a Solution


VA=V
By a node equation at node A, we see that [itex]\frac{V}{20}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{V<sub>S</sub>}{-j*20}[/itex], so V = VS [itex]\angle[/itex]-90

Loop 1: (j*20-j*20)IS -j*20I= VS
By observation, I=V/20, so V=VS[itex]\angle[/itex]90.
Loop 2: (20+j*20)I-j*20IS=0, so IS= 1.41[itex]\angle[/itex]135 *I
= 1.41[itex]\angle[/itex]135 *[itex]\frac{V}{20}[/itex]= 0.0705 V [itex]\angle[/itex]135

Since I and V are in phase, the power across the resistor is 1
Solve for V:
500=V*[itex]\frac{V}{20}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex], so V=[itex]\sqrt{20,000}[/itex]=
100[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]=141.4.

Vrms=[itex]\frac{V}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] =100,

Since V = 100[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] IS =7.05 *[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] [itex]\angle[/itex]135, so I S RMS = 7.05

V=VS[itex]\angle[/itex]90, so VS=V[itex]\angle[/itex]-90
And IS= 0.0705 V [itex]\angle[/itex]135,
So power factor pf = cos(135-90)= 0.707

VS=V[itex]\angle[/itex]-90 = -141.4*j, so magnitude given by 141.4.

I think I got this right, but I just want to make sure.
 
Attachments
  • Circuit drawing.png
    Circuit drawing.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 525
Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized the diagram I attached was small, hopefully this one's easier to read.
 
Attachments
  • Circuit drawing.jpg
    Circuit drawing.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 476
Same-same said:

Homework Statement


If an average power of 500W is dissipated in the 20Ω resistor, find Vrms, I S RMS, the power factor seen by the source, and the magnitude of VS
(Based on circuit in attached diagram)

Homework Equations



Pave= Irms*Vrms*pf*[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
.
Bad start.