1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find resistance of resistor in RC circuit

1. Dec 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the resistance of resistor R7 when the switch is turned on so that the power of that resistor is maximum in the circuit.

The voltage of the capacitor before the switch is turned on is Vc=200V.

r4oO78W.png

2. Relevant equations
    Thevenin's theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe I should be using Thevenin's theorem but I have no idea how to put it. Help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It looks like you should be first trying to determine the value of E3. Do this before the switch is closed.

Pay close attention to the role of ##I_s##: it renders the effects of several other components to be nil.

At steady state the capacitor "looks like" an open circuit, so you need to find E3 such that the voltage across the place where C connects is 200 V. The current ##I_s## plays an important role here.

4. Dec 25, 2014 #3
    So is Is going to flow through R3 and Vc is going to be equal to E3-Is*R3, and I find E3 from there?

5. Dec 25, 2014 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks like a good deduction:)

6. Dec 25, 2014 #5
    Appreciate it, a lot! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted