Find t in a Parametric Equation

• Thread starter Jimerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parametric
In summary, to find parametric equations for the tangent line to the given curve at the specified point, we first need to find the value of t that satisfies the equation (6cost t, 6sint, 6cos2t) = (3√3, 3, 3). This can be done by setting the components of the equations equal to each other and solving for t. Once we have the value of t, we can plug it into the equations for r(t) and r'(t) to get the parametric equations for the tangent line.
Jimerd

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve with the given parametric equations at the specified point.

x = 6 cos t, y = 6 sin t, z = 6 cos 2t; (3√3, 3, 3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I understand that r(t)= 6cost t, 6sint, 6cos2t

and r'(t)= -6sint, 6cost, -12sin2t

So here is the questions, how do I find what the value of t is at points (3√3, 3, 3)

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimerd said:

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve with the given parametric equations at the specified point.

x = 6 cos t, y = 6 sin t, z = 6 cos 2t; (3√3, 3, 3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I understand that r(t)= 6cost t, 6sint, 6cos2t

and r'(t)= -6sint, 6cost, -12sin2t

So here is the questions, how do I find what the value of t is at points (3√3, 3, 3)
Solve (6cost t, 6sint, 6cos2t) = (3√3, 3, 3) for t .

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a way of expressing a set of equations with multiple variables in terms of a single parameter. This allows for a more efficient and organized way of representing complex relationships between variables.

2. How do I find t in a parametric equation?

To find t in a parametric equation, you can use the method of substitution. This means that you substitute the given values for the other variables in the equation, leaving t as the only unknown variable. You can then solve for t using algebraic methods.

3. Why do we use parametric equations?

Parametric equations are useful because they allow for a simplified representation of complex relationships between variables. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering to model motion and other dynamic systems.

4. Can a parametric equation have more than one parameter?

Yes, a parametric equation can have multiple parameters. This means that the equation will have multiple unknown variables that can be solved for using different methods. However, it is important to note that adding more parameters can also make the equation more complicated and difficult to solve.

5. How are parametric equations used in real life?

Parametric equations have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are commonly used to model the motion of objects, such as projectiles or vehicles, and to create visual effects in movies and video games.