1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the centroid of the solid bounded below by the cone

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the centroid of the solid bounded below by the cone [tex]z = \sqrt{3(x^2+y^2)}[/tex] and bounded above the sphere [tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=36[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

Let G be the given solid and denote its volume by [tex]V_{G}=\int \int \int_{G} 1 dV.[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\bar{x}= \int \int \int_{G} x dV}{V_{G}}[/tex],[tex]\frac{\bar{y}= \int \int \int_{G} y dV}{V_{G}}[/tex],[tex]\frac{\bar{z}= \int \int \int_{G} z dV}{V_{G}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I need to use spherical coordinates making the solid G given by:

[tex]x = r sin \phi cos \theta[/tex]
    [tex]y = r sin \phi sin \theta[/tex]
    [tex]z = r cos \phi[/tex]

Now, for the limits of integration (the area where I struggle most with these integrals!), I think [tex]0 \leq r \leq 6[/tex] and [tex]0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi[/tex] [tex]0 \leq \phi \leq \frac{3\pi}{4}[/tex]

This is stupid, but where do I go from here if this is all correct?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi wilcofan3! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    (erm :redface: … 3π/4 is 135º)

Now multiply by the volume element (ie the r θ φ equivalent of dxdydz), and integrate. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook