Find the derivative of the integral

In summary, to find the interval on which the curve is concave upward, you need to find the derivative and the second derivative of the integral. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part 2 states that the antiderivative of a function evaluated at b and a is equal to F(b) - F(a). However, it is unclear how to find the antiderivative without evaluating the integral. It is also unclear if taking the derivative of the integral will give the function back.
merced
Find the interval on which the curve y = [tex]\int_0^{x}[/tex](1/(1 + t + t2))dt
is concave upward.

I know that I need to find the derivative of the integral.
But I can't figure out how.

I tried to use substitution, letting u = (1 + t + t 2).
Then du = (1 + 2t)dt. But that doesn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
merced said:
Find the interval on which the curve y = [tex]\int_0^{x}[/tex](1/(1 + t + t2))dt
is concave upward.

I know that I need to find the derivative of the integral.
But I can't figure out how.

I tried to use substitution, letting u = (1 + t + t 2).
Then du = (1 + 2t)dt. But that doesn't work.

You need to find the derivative, and the second derivative of the integral, you don't actually need to find the integral, maybe the second fundamental theorem of calculus would be useful here..

Ok, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part 2 says to take the antiderivative of the function evaluated at b and a...
i.e.: F(b) -F(a)

I don't know how to find the antiderivative any other way than to evaluate the integral...(because the integral is the antiderivative of the function, right?).

Or are you saying to take the derivative of the integral to get the function back?

So, would y' = 1/(1 + t + t2)?

1. What is the purpose of finding the derivative of an integral?

The purpose of finding the derivative of an integral is to determine the rate of change of a function. It can also help us find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the curve.

2. What is the process for finding the derivative of an integral?

The process for finding the derivative of an integral is to first apply the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is the original function. Then, use the rules of differentiation to find the derivative of the original function.

3. Can the derivative of an integral be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an integral can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that specific point on the curve.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the derivative of an integral?

Yes, there are a few special cases when finding the derivative of an integral. These include using the Chain Rule, Product Rule, or Quotient Rule, as well as when the limits of integration are variables.

5. How can finding the derivative of an integral be useful?

Finding the derivative of an integral can be useful in many applications, such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It can help us understand the rate of change of a function and make predictions about its behavior.