Find the determinant of a matrix

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 5K views
sara_87
Messages
748
Reaction score
0
Bonsoir everyone

can anyone confirm if i got the answer right or wrong:

Question:

find the determinant of A. A is a matrix and is equal to

1 5 -3
3 -3 3
2 13 -7

(i think you've already guessed that i don't have latex)

My answer:

i got -18


I would be grateful if anyone could confirm my answer, and if it's wrong i'll write out all the steps that i did in order to get that answer

Merci :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use ninja math or cofactors? I like ninja math:

[(1*-3*-7)+(5*3*2)+(3*13*-3)]-[(-3*-3*2)+(3*13*1)+(5*3*7)]=? <----- Is that -18?
 
Thank you all so much!...(i knew i was right ;) )

and you could help me further by telling me how to find det(B^3) where det B= 4

i don't think that it's as simple as 4^3...is it?
 
Det is multiplicative (Det(XY)=Det(X)Det(Y)). You have been taught this. So use it.
 
Ninja math, basketweave, whatever you want to call it. You slice along the diagonals. So if you have matrix A, you would do

(A11*A22*A33+A12*A23*A31+A21*A32*A13)-(A13*A22*A31+A12*A21*A33+A23*A32*A11)
 
Mindscrape said:
Ninja math, basketweave, whatever you want to call it. You slice along the diagonals. So if you have matrix A, you would do

(A11*A22*A33+A12*A23*A31+A21*A32*A13)-(A13*A22*A31+A12*A21*A33+A23*A32*A11)

That 'Ninja math' method is also called the Sarus rule, and it only applies for determinants of matrices of order 3.
 
Yes I forgot to mention it is only for 3x3. Sarus rule? I did not know that. I prefer ninja math other Sarus rule though.