Find the Distance of a Toy Zebra from a Chute

  • Thread starter Thread starter becky_marie11
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
becky_marie11
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A boy shoves his stuffed toy zebra down a frictionless chute, starting at a height of 1.05 m above the bottom of the chute and with an initial speed of 1.71 m/s. The toy animal emerges horizontally from the bottom of the chute and continues sliding along a horizontal surface with coefficient of kinetic friction 0.263. How far from the bottom of the chute does the toy zebra come to rest? Take g = 9.81 m/s2.

h=1.05m
Vi=1.71m/s
μk=.263
g=9.81m/s^2


Homework Equations


K=1/2mv^2
W=-μmgd
W(non conservative)=Ef-Ei


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't even know where to start... I solved for the final velocity using regular kinematic equations, but without a mass, I have no idea how to go about this... please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


There's essentially two parts to the question. So the first part is calculating the speed which the object gets to when it gets to the bottom of the chute. I'm guessing you've done the regular kinematic equations for this part? Which equations did you use, and what answer did you get to?
 


Welcome to PF, becky_marie11!

I'm missing the relevant equation for potential energy.
Conservation of energy says that the total initial energy must have been canceled by the work done by friction.
 


Ohhh...Wait I figured it out. Nevermind! Thanks though!