Skiing Up a Hill: Work Done by Friction

In summary, the skier coasts up a hill, and after 1.98m, has a speed of 3.95 m/s. The kinetic frictional force that acts on the skis causes 573.8 J of work to be done.
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

A 69.7-kg skier coasts up a snow-covered hill that makes an angle of 26.8° with the horizontal. The initial speed of the skier is 6.16 m/s. After coasting 1.98 m up the slope, the skier has a speed of 3.95 m/s. Calculate the work done by the kinetic frictional force that acts on the skis.

m = 69.7
Theta = 26.8 degrees
v1 = 6.16 m/s
d = 1.98m
v2 = 3.95 m/s

Homework Equations

I've found the total work done by using Wnc = Ef - Ei
but that gives me the wok of all the forces and i don't know how to pinpoint just the force done by friction

The Attempt at a Solution

∑W = Ef - Ei
∑W = (1/2mv^2) + (mgh) - (1/2mv^2) + (mgh)
∑W = (34.9)(3.95^2) + (69.7)(9.81)(1.98) - (34.9)(6.16^2) + (69.7)(9.81)(0)
∑W = (544) + (1353.8) - (1324) + (0)
∑W = 1897.8 - 1324
∑W = 573.8 J

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hypnos_16! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
Hypnos_16 said:
I've found the total work done by using Wnc = Ef - Ei
but that gives me the wok of all the forces and i don't know how to pinpoint just the force done by friction

The only forces (apart from gravity, which you've included in your E) are the normal force, N, which does no work, and the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=39"

so all the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=75" (in this case) is by friction! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
so what you're saying is i already found the answer?

he he! :biggrin:

life sometimes is that simple! :smile:

(oh, they might want you to say whether the work done is positive or negative)

But wait, wouldn't i need to use the sin 26.8 degrees for the force of gravity since it's down a hill?!

Hi Hypnos_16! :smile:
Hypnos_16 said:
But wait, wouldn't i need to use the sin 26.8 degrees for the force of gravity since it's down a hill?!

You already used the work done by gravity when you calculated the energy …

you included mgh in your E …

in coordinates, that's (x,y,h).(0,0,g), ie minus distance "dot" force …

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=269" by that force …

in the work-energy equation, you can either include gravity in the PE (on one side), or in the work done (on the other side), but not both! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of "skiing up a hill: work done by friction"?

"Skiing up a hill: work done by friction" is a concept that refers to the amount of effort or force needed to ski up a hill due to the presence of friction between the skis and the snow. This work is done against the force of gravity and is influenced by factors such as the angle of the hill, the weight of the skier, and the condition of the snow.

2. How does friction affect skiing up a hill?

Friction plays a crucial role in skiing up a hill as it creates resistance between the skis and the snow. This resistance requires the skier to use more force and energy to overcome it and move up the hill. The amount of friction depends on the surface of the snow, the type of skis, and the pressure applied by the skier's weight.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the hill and the work done by friction?

The steeper the angle of the hill, the more work is required to overcome the force of friction and ski up the hill. This is because a steeper angle increases the contact area between the skis and the snow, resulting in more friction. Therefore, the work done by friction is directly proportional to the angle of the hill.

4. How does the weight of the skier affect the work done by friction while skiing up a hill?

The weight of the skier also plays a significant role in the work done by friction while skiing up a hill. The heavier the skier, the more force is needed to overcome the friction between the skis and the snow. This is because the skier's weight increases the pressure on the skis, resulting in more friction.

5. Can the work done by friction while skiing up a hill be reduced?

Yes, the work done by friction while skiing up a hill can be reduced by using techniques such as waxing the skis, choosing the right type of skis for the snow conditions, and maintaining a proper body position while skiing. These techniques can help reduce the amount of friction and make skiing up a hill easier and more efficient.