1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the domain of continuity of this function

1. Mar 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

x*sin(sqrt(x^2+y^2))/sqrt(x^2+y^2)
    find the domain of continuity

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the domain, which is x^2+y^2 > 0 and since x^2 >= 0 and y^2 >= 0 therefore the domain is (-inf,0) (0,inf)
    but the professor then asked for the "domain of continuity" and asked us to "carefully explain", i don't know how that is different from the domain i found.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's not the domain. As you have it, the domain is all of the real line except 0. Your function has a domain that is two-dimensional; i.e., the domain is actually some subset of R2.

4. Mar 9, 2012 #3
    sorry my mistake, What i meant to say is that the domain is the xy plane except for at point (0,0). But still, how is that different from "domain of continuity"?

5. Mar 9, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm not familiar with that term. Your function is defined at and continuous at every point in the plane, except (0, 0). I'm guessing that, in this case, the domain of continuity is the same as the domain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook