Find the equivalent impedance of an infinite series of resistors and capacitors

In summary, to find the equivalent impedance of the infinite series of resistors and capacitors, you can imagine the network as already infinitely extensive and use a quadratic equation to solve for the unknown impedance Z.
kryzlof

Homework Statement

Find the equivalent impedance of the infinite series of resistors and capacitors as shown below

-R----R----R----R----...R----...
____C____C____C____B_______C
-r----r----r----r----...r----...

Homework Equations

2.1. Equivalent resistance of resistors in series : R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..
2.2. Equivalent resistance of resistors in parallel: 1 / R = 1 / R1 + 1 / R2 + 1 / R3 +...
2.3. Equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series : 1 / C = 1 / C1 + 1 / C2 + 1 / C3 ...
2.4. Equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel: C = C1 + C2 + C3 +...

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to find the equivalent impedance of the first three elements first (R, r and B) and the for the six first... This should then converge, hopefully...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kryzlof said:

Homework Statement

Find the equivalent impedance of the infinite series of resistors and capacitors as shown below

____B____B____B____B_______B

Homework Equations

2.2. Equivalent resistance of resistors in parallel: 1 / R = 1 / R1 + 1 / R2 + 1 / R3 +...

I am trying to find the equivalent impedance of the first three elements first (R, r and B) and the for the six first... This should then converge, hopefully...
What is B ?

Is this what you're going for?
attachment.php?attachmentid=47769&stc=1&d=1338323550.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,045
Yes, it is. Sorry for my misstake (it should be C, not B), I will correct my first post.

Rather than try to ferret out a converging series from increasingly complicated terms, consider what happens when you add one more "unit cell" at the front of an already infinite train of identical "cells" :wink:

kryzlof said:

Homework Statement

____C____C____C____B_______C

Homework Equations

2.3. Equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series : 1 / C = 1 / C1 + 1 / C2 + 1 / C3 ...
2.4. Equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel: C = C1 + C2 + C3 +...

The "trick" to most of these problems is to imagine that the network is already infinitely extensive to the right. Adding one more identical unit of impedance to the left of the network will not change the overall impedance.

If you let the impedance of the network be the unknown Z, you should be able to derive a quadratic equation with complex coefficients that Z satisfies.

What is the formula for finding the equivalent impedance of an infinite series of resistors and capacitors?

The formula for finding the equivalent impedance of an infinite series of resistors and capacitors is Zeq = R + 1/(jωC), where R is the total resistance and C is the total capacitance.

How do I calculate the total resistance and capacitance of an infinite series of resistors and capacitors?

To calculate the total resistance, simply add up the individual resistances in the series. To calculate the total capacitance, use the formula 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn, where C1, C2, etc. are the individual capacitances.

Can an infinite series of resistors and capacitors have an equivalent impedance of zero?

No, an infinite series of resistors and capacitors will always have a non-zero equivalent impedance. This is because even if one component has an impedance of zero, the other components will still contribute to the total impedance.

What happens to the equivalent impedance if I increase the number of components in the series?

As the number of components in the series increases, the equivalent impedance will also increase. This is because the total resistance and capacitance will also increase, leading to a higher overall impedance.

Is it possible to have negative equivalent impedance in an infinite series of resistors and capacitors?

No, it is not possible to have negative equivalent impedance in an infinite series of resistors and capacitors. The impedance will always be positive, as it represents the opposition to the flow of current.