1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the equivalent impedance of an infinite series of resistors and capacitors

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the equivalent impedance of the infinite series of resistors and capacitors as shown below

-R----R----R----R----....R----....
    ____C____C____C____B_______C
    -r----r----r----r----....r----....

2. Relevant equations
    2.1. Equivalent resistance of resistors in series : R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..
    2.2. Equivalent resistance of resistors in parallel: 1 / R = 1 / R1 + 1 / R2 + 1 / R3 +...
    2.3. Equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series : 1 / C = 1 / C1 + 1 / C2 + 1 / C3 ...
    2.4. Equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel: C = C1 + C2 + C3 +...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am trying to find the equivalent impedance of the first three elements first (R, r and B) and the for the six first... This should then converge, hopefully...

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is B ?

4. May 29, 2012 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Is this what you're going for?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=47769&stc=1&d=1338323550.gif

Attached Files:

5. May 29, 2012 #4
    Yes, it is. Sorry for my misstake (it should be C, not B), I will correct my first post.

6. May 30, 2012 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Rather than try to ferret out a converging series from increasingly complicated terms, consider what happens when you add one more "unit cell" at the front of an already infinite train of identical "cells" :wink:

7. May 30, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The "trick" to most of these problems is to imagine that the network is already infinitely extensive to the right. Adding one more identical unit of impedance to the left of the network will not change the overall impedance.

If you let the impedance of the network be the unknown Z, you should be able to derive a quadratic equation with complex coefficients that Z satisfies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook