1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the final velocity of the two pucks after the collision

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two hockey pucks approach each other as shown in the figure below. Puck 1 has an initial speed of 21 m/s, and puck 2 has an initial speed of 14 m/s. They collide and stick together.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution The pucks didn't have a mass so I couldn't use the components.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2
    Almost always in a collision problem like this, when the mass is not given that means the m terms will cancel out. Either the two pucks are of equal mass and the m's easily cancel or the mass is different, but is a multiple of the other mass. For example, one mass might be m and the other 3m, but the m's still cancel. I don't know whether or not the masses are the same, but if it is not specified, I would assume they are of equal mass.

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You'll need to provide more information. This is an inelastic collision so the masses canceling out is unlikely except in only certain situations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook