1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the frame length with derivative

1. Sep 20, 2014 #1
    Find the optimum frame length nf that maximizes transmission efficiency for a channel with random bit erros by taking the derivative and setting it to zero for the following protocols:
    (a) Stop-and-Wait ARQ
    (b) Go-Back-N ARQ
    (c) Selective Repeat ARQ

My work has been uploaded I am a bit rusty on derivative, so I am pretty sure I made a mistake just unsure of where.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

The last factor with nf is wrong I think. I used the duv = u*dv + v*du rule with v= (nf+B)^-1 and got a different factor from yours so check it again and post your result.

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3
    What did you use for u? I guess you did a u substitution to do this then so if I find u I can do the derivative.

5. Sep 21, 2014 #4

jedishrfu

u = nf - n0 your numerator and v= (nf+B)^-1

6. Sep 23, 2014 #5
    EPSON001.JPG

7. Sep 23, 2014 #6

jedishrfu

My apologies, I must have done something wrong. Yours looks correct. How is the book answer different? That might tell you where the real error is.

8. Sep 24, 2014 #7

jedishrfu

Okay I think I see your error. You differentiated the a^nf and multiplied it to the differentiated version of the second factor. Don't you have to apply the duv product rule here too?

With u=a^nf and v= the rest.

9. Sep 25, 2014 #8
    Sorry if the post is a bit confusing and my slow responses. EPSON002.JPG

10. Sep 29, 2014 #9
    Is my answer improved at all?

11. Sep 29, 2014 #10

jedishrfu

Yes, it looks right but you can do more by extracting out the a^nf factor and by finding a common denominator so you can combine numerator terms ie multiply the second term by (nf+B)/(nf+B).

12. Oct 2, 2014 #11
    Posted this with my phone sorry if it is hard to read 1412268926261.jpg

13. Oct 2, 2014 #12
    So should this be simplified further?

14. Oct 2, 2014 #13

jedishrfu

I can't see anything further. Does this differ from some book answer you have? or were you expecting it to be much simpler?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted