Find the highest power of ## 3 ## dividing ## 823 ##

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: I see that has been said already.In summary, @Math100 provides a formula for the highest power of ## 3 ## dividing ## 823! ##.
Math100
Homework Statement
Find the highest power of ## 3 ## dividing ## 823! ##.
Relevant Equations
None.
Let ## n ## be a positive integer and ## p ## be a prime.
Then the exponent of the highest power of ## p ## that divides ## n! ## is ## \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}[\frac{n}{p^{k}}] ##.
Observe that ## n=823 ## and ## p=3 ##.
Thus
\begin{align*}
&[\frac{823}{3}]+[\frac{823}{3^{2}}]+[\frac{823}{3^{3}}]+[\frac{823}{3^{4}}]+[\frac{823}{3^{5}}]+[\frac{823}{3^{6}}]\\
&=274+91+30+10+3+1\\
&=409.\\
\end{align*}
Therefore, the highest power of ## 3 ## dividing ## 823! ## is ## 409 ##.

Likes nuuskur, WWGD and fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Find the highest power of ## 3 ## dividing ## 823! ##.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Then the exponent of the highest power of ## p ## that divides ## n! ## is ## \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}[\frac{n}{p^{k}}] ##.
Thus
\begin{align*}
&[\frac{823}{3}]+[\frac{823}{3^{2}}]+[\frac{823}{3^{3}}]+[\frac{823}{3^{4}}]+[\frac{823}{3^{5}}]+[\frac{823}{3^{6}}]\\
&=274+91+30+10+3+1\\
&=409.\\
\end{align*}
Looks good.

Likes Math100
Sorry, but I suspect you may be doing some double counting here. Multiples of 6,9, etc., are also multiples of 3, etc.
Try the same approach with 10!=3628800, or, easier, with 8!=40320 . By a simple checkup, ##2^7## is the largest power of 2 dividing it.

WWGD said:
Sorry, but I suspect you may be doing some double counting here. Multiples of 6,9, etc., are also multiples of 3, etc.
Try the same approach with 10!=3628800, or, easier, with 8!=40320 . By a simple checkup, ##2^7## is the largest power of 2 dividing it.
When @Math100 says that 409 is the highest power of three dividing ##823!##, he/she is referring to the exponent used with ##3## as the base, i.e. ##\displaystyle 3^{409}## divides ##823!##, but ##\displaystyle 3^{410}## does not.

Likes Math100
SammyS said:
When @Math100 says that 409 is the highest power of three dividing ##823!##, he/she is referring to the exponent used with ##3## as the base, i.e. ##\displaystyle 3^{409}## divides ##823!##.
##3^{409}\,|\,823! \, \wedge \,3^{410}\,\nmid\,823!##

@SammyS : Sorry, it was under way during your correction, and was only meant to correct your typo.

Last edited:
Likes SammyS and Math100
math100 gives a general formula, statement, lemma, theorem, whatever you call it, with no justification or argument. He then says the formula with the two input numbers in question gives another number, which is the answer.

I'd say, whether you think the original statement is obvious or not, he has done nothing really.

epenguin said:
math100 gives a general formula, statement, lemma, theorem, whatever you call it, with no justification or argument. He then says the formula with the two input numbers in question gives another number, which is the answer.

I'd say, whether you think the original statement is obvious or not, he has done nothing really.
@Math100 has been going through a course or courses and/or a self study in number theory and related topics. Much of what @Math100 has posted here has been under the excellent guidance of @fresh_42 .

@fresh_42 seemed happy with the the effort in this thread and he's not all that easy to please.

• Wow
Likes Math100
SammyS said:
@Math100 has been going through a course or courses and/or a self study in number theory and related topics. Much of what @Math100 has posted here has been under the excellent guidance of @fresh_42 .

@fresh_42 seemed happy with the the effort in this thread and he's not all that easy to please.
I'm aware of Math100´s studies - he has obtained vastly more attention and help here than any other student ever has. I don't think approval by an authority is a criterion that we should be exalting to him (or anyone).

I think his answer is correct but as well as the absence of any argument there seem to be some superficial mistakes:
The sum is not infinite but finite;
The fractions in his first line do not appear to equal the numbers in his second.
If his series is correct he could sum it into more compact expression.

So I don't think this question has been sufficiently answered yet.

Last edited:
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Find the highest power of ## 3 ## dividing ## 823! ##.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Thus
\begin{align*}
&=274+91+30+10+3+1\\
&=409.\\
\end{align*}
To clarify:
In the summation you show, I suppose the fraction is meant to mean integer division. It would be good to mention this. Alternatively, use the "floor" function to make this clear. You might not be aware of how to code that in LaTeX: \lfloor \rfloor as in left floor and right floor.

##\displaystyle \quad \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left\lfloor\frac{n}{p^{k}}\right\rfloor ##

Of course, for any particular values of ##n## and ##p##, there are only a finite number of non-zero terms for this infinite sum.

I had been going to say "Some unstated notational meaning for the square brackets?"

Last edited:

What is the problem statement?

The problem is to find the highest power of 3 that divides evenly into the number 823.

Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it can be used to simplify fractions and solve certain types of equations.

What is the mathematical approach to solving this problem?

The mathematical approach is to divide the number by powers of 3 until the remainder is not divisible by 3. The highest power of 3 that can divide the number is the answer.

Can you provide an example of solving this problem?

For the number 823, we can divide it by 3 to get 274 with a remainder of 1. Since the remainder is not divisible by 3, we cannot divide further. Therefore, the highest power of 3 that divides 823 is 3^0 or 1.

Are there any tricks or shortcuts to solving this problem?

Yes, there is a shortcut called the "sum of digits" rule, which states that if the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by 3, then the number is divisible by 3. In the case of 823, the sum of its digits is 13, which is not divisible by 3. Therefore, we cannot divide by 3 and the highest power of 3 is 3^0 or 1.