1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the image set under a function

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. f(x) = 1/4 (x - 1)^2 - 9. What is the image set of the function f? Express in interval notation.

g(x) = 1/4 (x - 1)^2 - 9. (1 ≤ x ≥ 7). Specify the domain and image set of the inverse function g^-1, and find it's rule.

I really don't understand what happens in these questions. I have looked at numerous examples, the easy ones look like it's similar to finding the range, and the hard ones i just dont get. Can someone please break it down for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

the question asks based on the allowable values of x (the domain) what values can the function x take (the image)

for example say x and f are both defined on the real line, for any x, f can never produce values less than [itex]8\frac{3}{4}[/itex], why?

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does 1 ≤ x ≥ 7 mean ?

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suspect that grain1 meant to say that [itex]1\le x\le 7[/itex].

The graph of g(x) is a parabola with vertex at x= 1, y= -9, opening upward. In particular, for x between 1 and 7, the graph is one side of the parabola so it is "one to one" and there is an inverse. You find that inverse by solving the equation [itex](1/4)(x-1)^2- 9= y[/itex] of x. That's easy- [itex](x- 1)^2= 4(y+ 9)[/itex] and you can just take the square root of both sides. Knowing that you want x> 1 tells you which sign to use.

6. Nov 8, 2011 #5
    Thanks Lanedance...

-8 3/4 is the y - intercept, does this mean my image will be (-8 3/4, ∞)?

SammyS ... yes i meant to type 1≤x≤7.

HallsofIvy... i thought the inverse was found by switching the x and y in the oringinal formula i.e y = 1/4 (x-1)^2 - 9 becomes x = 1/4 (y-1)^2 - 9 and then solve for y

I think i am more confused now than i was.

7. Nov 8, 2011 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

yes that image is correct, however it is just a concidence x=-8 3/4 is the y - intercept, the important part is that it is the minimum of the function

to find an inverse never change x & y, the just confuses things, if you have
    [tex]
    y= y(x) = f(x)
    [/tex]

see if you can solve for x as a function of y which gives you the inverse function
    [tex]
    x= x(y) = f^{-1}(y)
    [/tex]

8. Nov 8, 2011 #7
    Thank you again Lanedance, you are being very helpful.

I thought the min was at the vertex.... i.e. -9?

g(x) = 1/4 (x - 1)^2 - 9 (1 ≤ x ≤ 7)

g[itex]^{-1}[/itex](y) = 1/4 (y - 1)^2 - 9
    x = 1/4 (y - 1)^2 - 9
    4x + 36 = (y - 1)^2
    √(4x + 36) = y - 1
    +2x + 6 + 1 = y
    2x + 7 = g[itex]^{-1}[/itex]

Can you tell me what is next?

can i write the above as my inverse and that will give me an image of (9, 21)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook