Find the image set under a function

In summary, the image set of the function f is (-8 3/4, ∞). The inverse function g^-1 has a domain of (9, 21) and its rule is 2x + 7. To find the inverse of a function, do not switch x and y, but instead solve for x as a function of y. This will give you the inverse function and its corresponding domain and image set.
grain1
1. f(x) = 1/4 (x - 1)^2 - 9. What is the image set of the function f? Express in interval notation.

g(x) = 1/4 (x - 1)^2 - 9. (1 ≤ x ≥ 7). Specify the domain and image set of the inverse function g^-1, and find it's rule.

I really don't understand what happens in these questions. I have looked at numerous examples, the easy ones look like it's similar to finding the range, and the hard ones i just don't get. Can someone please break it down for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
the question asks based on the allowable values of x (the domain) what values can the function x take (the image)

for example say x and f are both defined on the real line, for any x, f can never produce values less than [itex]8\frac{3}{4}[/itex], why?

grain1 said:
1. f(x) = 1/4 (x - 1)^2 - 9. What is the image set of the function f? Express in interval notation.

g(x) = 1/4 (x - 1)^2 - 9. (1 ≤ x ≥ 7). Specify the domain and image set of the inverse function g^-1, and find it's rule.

I really don't understand what happens in these questions. I have looked at numerous examples, the easy ones look like it's similar to finding the range, and the hard ones i just don't get. Can someone please break it down for me.

What does 1 ≤ x ≥ 7 mean ?

I suspect that grain1 meant to say that [itex]1\le x\le 7[/itex].

The graph of g(x) is a parabola with vertex at x= 1, y= -9, opening upward. In particular, for x between 1 and 7, the graph is one side of the parabola so it is "one to one" and there is an inverse. You find that inverse by solving the equation [itex](1/4)(x-1)^2- 9= y[/itex] of x. That's easy- [itex](x- 1)^2= 4(y+ 9)[/itex] and you can just take the square root of both sides. Knowing that you want x> 1 tells you which sign to use.

Thanks Lanedance...

-8 3/4 is the y - intercept, does this mean my image will be (-8 3/4, ∞)?

SammyS ... yes i meant to type 1≤x≤7.

HallsofIvy... i thought the inverse was found by switching the x and y in the oringinal formula i.e y = 1/4 (x-1)^2 - 9 becomes x = 1/4 (y-1)^2 - 9 and then solve for y

I think i am more confused now than i was.

grain1 said:
Thanks Lanedance...

-8 3/4 is the y - intercept, does this mean my image will be (-8 3/4, ∞)?
yes that image is correct, however it is just a concidence x=-8 3/4 is the y - intercept, the important part is that it is the minimum of the function

grain1 said:
SammyS ... yes i meant to type 1≤x≤7.

HallsofIvy... i thought the inverse was found by switching the x and y in the oringinal formula i.e y = 1/4 (x-1)^2 - 9 becomes x = 1/4 (y-1)^2 - 9 and then solve for y
to find an inverse never change x & y, the just confuses things, if you have
[tex]
y= y(x) = f(x)
[/tex]

see if you can solve for x as a function of y which gives you the inverse function
[tex]
x= x(y) = f^{-1}(y)
[/tex]

grain1 said:
I think i am more confused now than i was.

Thank you again Lanedance, you are being very helpful.

I thought the min was at the vertex... i.e. -9?

g(x) = 1/4 (x - 1)^2 - 9 (1 ≤ x ≤ 7)

g[itex]^{-1}[/itex](y) = 1/4 (y - 1)^2 - 9
x = 1/4 (y - 1)^2 - 9
4x + 36 = (y - 1)^2
√(4x + 36) = y - 1
+2x + 6 + 1 = y
2x + 7 = g[itex]^{-1}[/itex]

Can you tell me what is next?

can i write the above as my inverse and that will give me an image of (9, 21)?

1. What is the definition of a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that relates each element of one set, called the domain, to exactly one element of another set, called the range.

2. How do you find the image set under a function?

To find the image set under a function, you plug in the values from the domain into the function and see what values are outputted for the range.

3. What is the difference between the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all input values, while the range is the set of all output values. In other words, the domain is the set of possible x-values and the range is the set of possible y-values.

4. Can a function have more than one output for a given input?

No, by definition, a function can only have one output for each input. This is known as the "vertical line test" and is used to determine if a relation is a function.

5. What is the notation used to represent a function?

A function is typically represented using the notation f(x) or y = f(x). The letter f represents the function and the input value is shown as x. The output value is then represented as f(x) or y.