1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the individual charge (and potential difference?) on each capacitor

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Four capacitors are connected as shown in the figure below. (Let C = 18.0 µF.)
    26-p-023-alt.gif

Find the equivalent capacitance between points a and b

Calculate the charge on each capacitor, taking ΔVab = 17.0 V

2. Relevant equations
    Q = CΔV

C = Q / ΔV

ΔV1 = ΔV2 = ΔVtot (for parallel capacitors)

Q tot = Q1 + Q2 (charge on parallel capacitors, it says)

ΔVtot = ΔV1 + ΔV2 (for series capacitors)

Q = Q1 = Q2 (charge on series capacitors, it says)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only thing I could solve was the equivalent capacitance across, which is 6 x 10-6

And I broke it up like this (and it's correct):
    http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg213/scaled.php?server=213&filename=prob1m.jpg&res=landing [Broken]

I have NO IDEA at all how to determine the individual charge on each of them, even with the formulas...

I can see ΔV across series is supposed to add up to 17V but no idea how.

Where should I start on that?

Edit: ok used Q = CV for the (20 x 10-6 f) capacitor and got (102 x 10-6 C) because charge is supposed to be the same across series

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2012 #2
    What you have done so far is correct...now find the total capacitance of the 2 in series.... (You were able to find the equivalent of C and the 3uF in series !!!) then you should be able to get the total charge.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  4. May 5, 2012 #3
    ok i got them all

you need to just mainly worry about using total charge Q = Q1 = Q2 for series capacitors and V tot = V1 = V2 for parallel capacitors, just to find the individual potentials / charges.

Then you need to work your way down with these and the other two formulas.

5. May 5, 2012 #4
    thats correct !!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook