Find the inverse of the function

In summary, to find the inverse for this function, you would need to replace x with y in the equation, and then rearrange the terms.
HOFBrINCl
How would you find the inverse for this function: f(x)= -2 (squareroot 3x-1)-5, x greater than or equal to one third. I tried doing this through algebra (replacing x with y) but didn't get all the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
don't bother replacing x with y

just start with [tex] y = -2 \sqrt{ 3x-1 } -5[/tex]

and rearrange for x(y) this is your inverse function

In other words, lanedance is telling you to do exactly what you say you did. How about showing your work so we can see where your problem is?

So far I have x=-2(squaroot 3y -1) -5. Then you can make the 5 jump over, and that's as far as I've gotten. What's the next step here?

It's annoying enough when people say "move the 5 to the other side of the equation" but "make the 5 jump over" is just silly! You ADD 5 to both sides of the equation getting [itex]x+ 5= -2\sqrt{3y- 1}[/itex]. Now the right hand side is multiplied by -2. You remove that by doing the opposite: dividing by -2:

[tex]\frac{x+ 5}{-2}= \sqrt{3y- 1}[/tex]

Now you need to get rid of the square root. What is the opposite of taking the square root?

haha, I've always said "make this or that jump over"! let's see, now I've come up with the complicated looking answer: y= (x+5/-2) squared, divided by 3 and +1. just looking at this it doesn't seem right, but I don't think I missed a step here.

Well, you don't need that "-2 squared" in the denominator- it's just 4.
y= (x+5)^2/12+ 1.

Be careful when manipulating equations in ways other than adding/subtracting. There is no jumping, leaping, or any other form of hopping in that sense :tongue2:

So you squared both sides:

[tex]3y-1=\frac{(y+5)^2}{(-2)^2}[/tex]

Now, when dividing, be sure to divide EVERY term on both sides of the equation.

e.g. [tex]ax+b=c[/tex]
solving for x: divide by a: [tex]x+\frac{b}{a}=\frac{c}{a}[/tex]
and now isolate x by 'jumping' that 'thing' to the other side: [tex]x=\frac{c}{a}-\frac{b}{a}=\frac{c-b}{a}[/tex]

It can also be done like this:
[tex]ax+b=c[/tex]
[tex]ax=c-b[/tex]
[tex]x=\frac{c-b}{a}[/tex]

ok. See if you can apply this to the question now :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that can reverse the effects of another function. In other words, if a function f(x) maps input values to output values, then its inverse function, denoted as f^-1(x), maps the output values back to the input values.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you need to switch the positions of the input and output variables and solve for the output variable. This can be done algebraically by using the steps of "switching and solving", or graphically by reflecting the function over the line y=x.

3. What is the domain and range of an inverse function?

The domain of an inverse function is the range of the original function, and the range of an inverse function is the domain of the original function. In other words, the inputs and outputs are switched when finding the inverse of a function.

4. Can all functions have an inverse?

No, not all functions have an inverse. A function must be one-to-one, meaning that each input has a unique output, in order to have an inverse. If a function is not one-to-one, then its inverse would not be a function since multiple inputs would have the same output.

5. How do you know if a function has an inverse?

A function has an inverse if it is a one-to-one function. This can be determined by graphing the function and using the Horizontal Line Test. If every horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at most once, then the function is one-to-one and has an inverse.