1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the kinetic energy stored in the flywheel

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car is designed to get its energy from a rotating flywheel (solid disk) with a radius of 1.00 m and a mass of 425 kg. Before a trip, the flywheel is attached to an electric motor, which brings the flywheel's rotational speed up to 4000 rev/min.

(a) Find the kinetic energy stored in the flywheel.

(b) If the flywheel is to supply energy to the car as would a 15.0-hp motor, find the length of time the car could run before the flywheel would have to be brought back up to speed.

2. Relevant equations
    KE=(1/2)Iw^2
    where I=Mr^2

P=KE/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I used the equation to find the moment of inertia: I=(425kg)(1)^2=425
    I know that the angular velocity is 4000 rev/min, so I converted that to 418.879 rad/s
    Then I plugged that into the the equation for KE: 1/2(425)(418.879 rad/s)^2 =3.73e7
    This was wrong...

For part b, I used the equation relating power to kinetic energy, so I converted 15 hp to 11185.5 Watt

So, 3.73e7/11185.5 = t = 3334.67s
    Also wrong..

Is there something I'm missing here? I can't figure out for the life of me what I'm doing wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At first glance, I noticed that you are using the wrong moment of inertia.

You are using the moment of inertia for a circular hoop, not a solid disc. The moment of inertia for a disc is:

[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}MR^2[/tex]

Try working the problem with this moment of inertia and see if it helps.

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    ah ha! that equation worked! I'm a total newb at physics so I wasn't aware there was a separate equation for the moment of inertia for a disc

Thank you so much!

5. Oct 26, 2008 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem. I'm glad to be of help! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?