1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the level curve through the point on the gradient

1. Dec 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-12-13_18-25-48.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer is F. I don't how to get this. I know that it is perpendicular and must have a horizontal tangent. How do I come to this answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Let's look at one choice and see why it isn't an answer.
    D. y = 2/x
    Let f(x, y) = y - 2/x
    Then ##\nabla f = <-2x^{-2}, 1>##, so ##\nabla f(1, 2) = <-2, 1> \ne \vec{j}##

4. Dec 13, 2016 #3
    I understand, but why is f(x,y) = y- 2/x

5. Dec 13, 2016 #4

Mark44

I'm defining that way. With this definition, f(x, y) = 0 is equivalent to y = 2/x.

6. Dec 13, 2016 #5
    Can we always define it as being this way ?

7. Dec 13, 2016 #6

Mark44

When you're talking about level curves, as this problem is, the equation y = 2/x represents the level curve f(x, y) = 0, with f(x, y) = y - 2/x.

8. Dec 13, 2016 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's another way to look at it. Each of your examples except (E) is of the form ##y=f(x)## for some ##f(x)##. It's not good form to use ##f(x,y)## in the same problem you have ##f(x)##, so call ##F(x,y) = y - f(x)##. Then ##\nabla F(x,y) = -f'(x)\hat i + 1\hat j## so ##\nabla F(1,2) = -f'(1)\hat i + 1\hat j =0 \hat i + \hat j## means ##f'(1) = 0##. That is quick and easy to check for each ##f(x)## and you will easily will see (F) works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted