1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the limits of the following functions

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok – two limit questions. Find the limit as x -> infinity or if no limit exists then prove so.

i) (x + log(x^2))/(3x+2)
    ii) x/(1 + (x^2)(sin x)^2

3. The attempt at a solution

i) my first thought was that log(x^2)/x tends to 0 so the function tends to 1/3, but if this is the case do I need to prove that log(x^2)/x tends to 0?

ii) well 0 <= (sin x)^2 <= 1 , im pretty stuck on this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2
    Does log here means ln? If so then by using L'hopital rule
    [tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{x+\ln x^2}{3x+2}=\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{(x+\ln x^2)'}{(3x+2)'}=\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{1+\frac{2x}{x^2}}{3}=\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{x}{1+x^2\sin^2 x}=\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{1}{2x\sin^2 x+x^2 2\sin x\cos x}[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  4. Feb 4, 2008 #3
    thanks - i) makes sense.

so ii) -> 0 ?

5. Feb 4, 2008 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Well, L'Hospital does not work for cases, in which, the limit does not exist. :wink:

Nope.

You can think like this: as x tends to infinity, sin(x) can take any value on the interval [-1, 1].

If sin(x) = 0, your expression becomes: x.
    And if sin(x) = 1, then your expression will become: x / (1 + x2)

So now, we'll choose 2 sequences (namely, xn, and x'n), both of which grow without bounds, and sin(xn) = 0, sin(x'n) = 1, for all n.

We can choose xn = 2n(pi), and x'n = pi/2 + 2n(pi).
    The 2 sequences above satisfy all requirements above (you can check it yourself).

What can you say about the 2 limits:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x_n}{1 + x_n ^2 \sin ^ 2 (x_n)} , \quad n \in \mathbb{N} [/tex]

and:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x'_n}{1 + x'_n ^2 \sin ^ 2 (x'_n)} , \quad n \in \mathbb{N} [/tex]

From there, what can you conclude about the limit:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x}{1 + x ^2 \sin ^ 2 (x)}[/tex]?

Can you go from here? :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  6. Feb 5, 2008 #5
    yep - thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?