1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the magnitude of the block's acceleration

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Refer to Fig. 5-38 (see below). Let the mass of the block be 2.3 kg and the angle x be 20°. Find (a) the tension in the cord and (b) the normal force acting on the block. (c) If the cord is cut, find the magnitude of the block's acceleration.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma (Newton's Second Law)

3. The attempt at a solution

I got a and b by figuring out the equations T=F(g)sinx and F=F(g)cosx where F(g) is the force due to gravity. Part C is where I have the problem. I thought that because the rope was cut, the tension there would be 0 and thus the acceleration would be the tenstion

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The tension is zero--the string no longer pulls on the block. Once the string is cut, what's the net force on the block? (What forces act on the block?)

4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    Right, thats what i figured. So wouldnt the net force be in the direction of opposite of the tension (ie in the picture, it would be F(g)sinx?)

5. Feb 5, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Exactly! The only unbalanced force on the block is the component of gravity down the incline, which is [itex]F_g \sin\theta[/itex].

6. Feb 5, 2008 #5
    Right, but since its an online program...i put in 7.71 and -7.71 and neither is right. The force due to gravity is 22.54 N and multiply that by sin20 = 7.71, but its apparently not right?

7. Feb 5, 2008 #6

Doc Al

They want the acceleration, not the force. You're not done yet.

8. Feb 5, 2008 #7
    So, since thats the force...F=ma? would you divide that by the mass then?

9. Feb 5, 2008 #8

Doc Al

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?