Find the magnitude of the block's acceleration

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 14K views
TS656577
Messages
62
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Refer to Fig. 5-38 (see below). Let the mass of the block be 2.3 kg and the angle x be 20°. Find (a) the tension in the cord and (b) the normal force acting on the block. (c) If the cord is cut, find the magnitude of the block's acceleration.


Homework Equations


F=ma (Newton's Second Law)


The Attempt at a Solution



I got a and b by figuring out the equations T=F(g)sinx and F=F(g)cosx where F(g) is the force due to gravity. Part C is where I have the problem. I thought that because the rope was cut, the tension there would be 0 and thus the acceleration would be the tenstion
 
Attachments
  • fig05_18.gif
    fig05_18.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,691
Physics news on Phys.org
TS656577 said:
Part C is where I have the problem. I thought that because the rope was cut, the tension there would be 0 and thus the acceleration would be the tenstion
The tension is zero--the string no longer pulls on the block. Once the string is cut, what's the net force on the block? (What forces act on the block?)
 
Right, that's what i figured. So wouldn't the net force be in the direction of opposite of the tension (ie in the picture, it would be F(g)sinx?)
 
Exactly! The only unbalanced force on the block is the component of gravity down the incline, which is [itex]F_g \sin\theta[/itex].
 
Right, but since its an online program...i put in 7.71 and -7.71 and neither is right. The force due to gravity is 22.54 N and multiply that by sin20 = 7.71, but its apparently not right?
 
So, since that's the force...F=ma? would you divide that by the mass then?