1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the mass of a piece of a cylinder

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the mass of the piece of a cylinder x^2 + y^2 =1 that lies in the first octant above z=0 and below z=1-x.
    The density is D=x.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set up this integral:

[itex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0} \int^{1}_{0} \int^{1-rcos\theta}_{0} r^{2}cos\theta dz dr d\theta[/itex]

Which ends up coming out as [itex]\frac{1}{3} - \frac{\pi}{16}[/itex]

The correct answer is [itex]1- \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2014 #2
    Nevermind I figured it out. They only wanted the "shell" mass. I had to do a surface integral.

4. Apr 15, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you recall the discussion in your previous post about the mass of a funnel? There was confusion whether your problem was to give the mass of a solid or a surface. You have the same issue in this problem. You have worked it as the mass of a solid piece of a cylinder in the first octant under that plane. Are you sure you aren't supposed to be thinking of a thin metal sheet forming just the curved surface of that cylinder? In that case you would want a surface integral. It would help if you would state the problem completely and exactly as it appears in your book. My guess it that it is supposed to be a surface integral.

[Edit] I see you figured it out while I was typing my response.

5. Apr 15, 2014 #4
    This question actually came off an old quiz and it was stated on it exactly as I typed it. It seems counter intuitive to me anyway. Isn't the surface just infinitely thin and thus without mass? This whole idea seems weird to me. How could a surface possibly have mass?

6. Apr 15, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It can be a useful approximation for some physical situations when one dimension is negligible in comparison to the other two.

7. Apr 15, 2014 #6
    How do you mean? Could you give me an example of a physical interpretation? One that's applicable to engineering would be awesome :).

8. Apr 15, 2014 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Things that are thin, like a sheet of paper, a steel plate, gold foil, etc.

9. Apr 15, 2014 #8
    Hmm yeah ok fair enough. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted