Find the maximum vertical height inc of the ball

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a child rolling a .6kg hollow sphere up a ramp and finding the maximum vertical height the ball reaches. The work done by friction is assumed to be the same for both upward and downward motion and the ball is assumed to roll without slipping. The initial attempt at solving the problem using energy equations did not yield the correct answer, but when rotational kinetic energy was ignored, the correct answer of 3.26m was obtained. The question also highlights the opportunity for the student to discuss the unclear wording of the problem with their professor.
moondawg

Homework Statement

A chilld rolls a .6kg bball up a long ramp. The bball can be considered a hollow sphere. When the child releases the bball at the bottom of the ramp, it has a speed of 8m/s. Assume the work done by friction on the bball is the same when the ball moves up or down the ramp and that the bball rolls without slipping. Find the maximum vertical height inc of the ball as it rolls up the ramp.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Originally i though i should use energy to find my height by doing kinetic translational + kinetic rotational= ggravitational potential. But when i did that my number was too high when compared to the answer in the back of the book. so i took kinetic rotational away and got the correct answer of 3.26m but i don't understand why rotational kinetic would not be used to find this because the ball is rolling with friction. Explain?!

Physics news on Phys.org

Friction is very small for a rolling object; it makes sense to ignore that.

There certainly is rotational kinetic energy when the ball is rolling. What isn't clear in the question is whether or not the ball is rolling when the child releases it. The first line, "A child rolls a .6kg bball up a long ramp." is very unclear.

You know, this is a wonderful opportunity for you to talk to your prof. You may well impress him or her, and get the question fixed for next year.

1. How do you calculate the maximum vertical height inc of a ball?

The maximum vertical height inc of a ball can be calculated using the equation h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity of the ball, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What factors affect the maximum vertical height inc of a ball?

The maximum vertical height inc of a ball is affected by the initial velocity of the ball, the angle of projection, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind may also have an impact.

3. How does the weight of the ball affect its maximum vertical height inc?

The weight of the ball does not directly affect its maximum vertical height inc. However, a heavier ball may require more initial velocity or a higher angle of projection to reach the same maximum height as a lighter ball.

4. Is the maximum vertical height inc of a ball affected by the surface it is projected on?

Yes, the surface the ball is projected on can affect the maximum vertical height inc. For example, a rough surface may cause more friction and decrease the ball's maximum height, while a smooth surface may allow the ball to travel higher.

5. How can the maximum vertical height inc of a ball be increased?

The maximum vertical height inc of a ball can be increased by increasing the initial velocity of the ball, increasing the angle of projection, or decreasing the acceleration due to gravity (e.g. by projecting the ball on a planet with lower gravity).