Find the Orthogonal Complement

• Thread starter Tempest Desh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orthogonal
In summary, to find the orthogonal complement of a set of vectors, you need to find vectors that are perpendicular to all the vectors in the original set. This can be done by setting up equations using the dot product and solving for the unknowns.
Tempest Desh

Homework Statement

Find the orthogonal complement.

Homework Equations

span {[0 0 1 0] [2 -1 0 1]} transpose

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really confused on this. I've tried setting up things like this:

[0 0 1 0] [2 -1 0 1] [x y z v] transpose = [0 0 0 0] transpose

But, I'm not sure where to go from here...all the examples I see having two column matrices...not split up like in this problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
Tempest Desh said:

Homework Statement

Find the orthogonal complement.

Homework Equations

span {[0 0 1 0] [2 -1 0 1]} transpose

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really confused on this. I've tried setting up things like this:

[0 0 1 0] [2 -1 0 1] [x y z v] transpose = [0 0 0 0] transpose

But, I'm not sure where to go from here...all the examples I see having two column matrices...not split up like in this problem...

Any vector <x, y, z, v> in the orth. complement has to be orthogonal to (perpendicular to) each of the two vectors in your set. The dot product of each of your two given vectors with <x, y, z, v> will be zero. That will give you two equations in four unknowns, from which you can find two vectors that form a basis for the orthogonal complement.

1. What is the definition of the orthogonal complement?

The orthogonal complement of a vector space is the set of all vectors that are perpendicular (or orthogonal) to every vector in that space.

2. How is the orthogonal complement denoted?

The orthogonal complement is often denoted as the symbol ⊥ or with a superscript ⊥, placed above the vector space symbol.

3. How is the orthogonal complement related to the vector space?

The orthogonal complement is a subspace of the vector space, and together they form a direct sum. This means that every vector in the vector space can be written as a unique combination of a vector in the orthogonal complement and a vector in the original space.

4. Can the orthogonal complement exist in non-Euclidean spaces?

Yes, the concept of orthogonal complement can be extended to non-Euclidean spaces, such as spaces with a non-trivial metric. However, the definition and properties may differ from those in Euclidean spaces.

5. How is the orthogonal complement useful in applications?

The orthogonal complement is useful in various applications, such as in linear algebra, signal processing, and optimization problems. It allows for the decomposition of a vector space into two independent subspaces, making it easier to solve problems and analyze data.