Find the particular solution of the differential equation

In summary, a differential equation is a mathematical equation used to model dynamic systems and predict their behavior over time. The particular solution of a differential equation is a unique solution that satisfies given initial conditions, obtained by solving the equation using specific techniques. To find the particular solution, the equation must be solved and the initial conditions used to determine the values of the constants. Finding the particular solution is important for accurate modeling and understanding of dynamic systems. The particular solution can change if the initial conditions are changed.
shiri
Find the particular solution of the differential equation

dy/dx = (3x+42y)/7x

satisfying the initial condition y(1) = 5.

Attempt:
dy/dx = 3/7 + 6y/x

dy/dx - 6y/x = 3/7

p(x) = -6/x
q(x) = 3/7

u(x) = -6 ∫(1/x)dx = -6ln|x|
e^(u(x)) = -x^6

1/e^(u(x)) ∫e^(u(x))q(x)dx

= 1/(-x^6) ∫(-x^6)(3/7)dx

= 3/(7(-x^6)) [(-x^7/7)+c]

=3x/49 - 3c/(7x^6)

y(1) = 5 = 3(1)/49 - 3c/(7(1)^6)

5 = 3/49 - 3c/7

242/49 = -3c/7

c = -242/21

So, what I got is

y(x) = 3x/49 + 242/(49x^6)

however, my professor said it's wrong. So, can anybody tell me what I did wrong? I'll be very appreciated. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
shiri said:
u(x) = -6 ∫(1/x)dx = -6ln|x|
e^(u(x)) = -x^6
[tex]e^u=e^{-6\ln|x|}=\left(e^{\ln|x|}\right)^{-6}=|x|^{-6}=x^{-6}\neq -x^6[/tex]

:wink:

So, what I got is

y(x) = 3x/49 + 242/(49x^6)

however, my professor said it's wrong. So, can anybody tell me what I did wrong? I'll be very appreciated. thanks.

It's always a good idea to check your answers before submitting them. Does this solution satisfy your original ODE?

gabbagabbahey said:
[tex]e^u=e^{-6\ln|x|}=\left(e^{\ln|x|}\right)^{-6}=|x|^{-6}=x^{-6}\neq -x^6[/tex]

:wink:
It's always a good idea to check your answers before submitting them. Does this solution satisfy your original ODE?

Just to be sure, the answer is

[tex]y(x) = -3x/35 + 178/(35x^{6})[/tex]

right?

Last edited:
shiri said:
Just to be sure, the answer is

[tex]y(x) = -3x/35 + 178/(35x^{6})[/tex]

right?

You mean [tex]y(x) = -\frac{3}{35}x + \frac{178}{35}x^6[/tex]...right? If so, then yes.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model dynamic systems and predict their behavior over time.

2. What is the particular solution of a differential equation?

The particular solution of a differential equation is a specific solution that satisfies the given initial conditions. It is unique to each differential equation and is obtained by solving the equation using specific techniques.

3. How do you find the particular solution of a differential equation?

To find the particular solution of a differential equation, you must first solve the equation using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. Then, you can use the given initial conditions to find the unique values of the constants in the solution, resulting in the particular solution.

4. Why is it important to find the particular solution of a differential equation?

Finding the particular solution of a differential equation is important because it allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of dynamic systems. It also helps us understand the relationship between different variables in the system and how they change over time.

5. Can the particular solution of a differential equation change?

Yes, the particular solution of a differential equation can change depending on the initial conditions given. If the initial conditions are changed, the values of the constants in the solution will also change, resulting in a different particular solution.