Find the particular solution of this difference equation (solve most of it)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the particular solution to a given equation. The question is whether it is necessary to find the homogeneous solution first in order to determine if the functional form of the homogeneous and particular solutions are the same. The second question is about solving the given problem and the discrepancy between the student's answer and the teacher's answer. The student realizes their mistake and hopes for an answer to their first question.
jwxie

Homework Statement

Find the particular solution.

y(k+2) + y(k+1) -6y(k) = 3^(k)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Still need to be answered

Question (1): Before finding the particular solution, is it true that we should ALWAYS get the homogeneous solution (leaving in the form of undetermined constants), to see whether the functional form of the homogeneous and particular solutions are the same.

For example:
[itex]y(k) - 3y(k-1) - 4y(k-2) = 4^{k} + (2)(4^{k-1})[/itex]
y_h includes a solution of the form [itex]C(4)^{k}[/itex]. Thus, we have the multiply the particular solution by k (which is the way my professor did it).

[STRIKE]Now, the real question:

(2)
I tried to solve the problem at the beginning of the thread but I couldn't get the right answer.

I know that the particular solution should be in the form of B3^(k), and according to the homogeneous solution, we have a form C(-3)^k but since it has the - sign it's a different form.

I will show my steps below:
sub the Y_particular into the original equation
[itex]B3^{k+2}+B3^{k+1}-6B3^{k}=3^{k}[/itex]

divide by 3^{k+2}
[itex]B+\frac{B}{3}-\frac{6}{9}=\frac{1}{9}[/itex]

Combine terms I have
[itex]\frac{4B}{3}-\frac{6}{9}=\frac{1}{9}[/itex]
and B is 7/12

However, my teacher gave Y_p = 1/6 * 3^k as the answer...

Can anyone help me? Sorry for all the questions... thanks!

-- his answer is correct if i do the substitution...[/STRIKE]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

ha i caught my silly mistake
urgh
thanks if anyone had actually read this...

but i still hope someone can answer question 1 for me...
thanks!

1. What is a difference equation?

A difference equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a system changes over time. It relates the values of a variable at different times based on a given set of rules or conditions.

2. How do you solve a difference equation?

To solve a difference equation, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, iteration, or generating functions. The method used depends on the specific type of difference equation and the initial conditions given.

3. What is a particular solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a difference equation that satisfies all of the given conditions or constraints. It is unique for a given set of initial conditions and parameters of the equation.

4. Can you explain the steps for finding a particular solution?

To find a particular solution, you first need to identify the type of difference equation and determine the initial conditions. Then, you can apply the appropriate method, such as substitution or iteration, to solve for the particular solution. Finally, you can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure that it satisfies all of the given conditions.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to solve difference equations?

Yes, there are many resources available such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also consult with a math tutor or attend a workshop on difference equations to improve your understanding and skills in solving them.