Find the probability that the salad contains more then 5 vegetables

• Thread starter Pakistani_Shikra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, a chef prepares a tossed salad containing on average 5 vegetables. The question of finding the probability that the salad contains more than 5 vegetables is impossible to solve with the given information. This holds true for (a) on any given day, (b) on 3 of the next 4 days, and (c) for the first time in April on April 5.
Pakistani_Shikra
A chef prepares a tossed salad contaning on average 5 vegetables..find the probability tht the salad contains more then 5 vegetables (A)
on 3 of next 4 days
wat does this 3 of next 4 means again a poisson process:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
(b) on any given day
P(x>5)=1-∑ P (x;5)
x=0
=1-0.6160
= .3840

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is impossible to do as stated, I think. If we let X be the number of vegetables in a salad all we know is E(X). This does not allow us to solve the question since the probability that there are more than 5 vegetables in the salad on a given day is not calculable from this information (unless average refers to the median and not the expectation, of course).

well what does this mean on 3 of next 4 days
? thts so confusing i did for one give day but unable to solve it for 3 of next 4 days

Last edited:
You can't do it for one day, never mind 3 out of 4 (which is just a binomial problem: if you know that the probability of something occurring on one day is p, then it is just a binomial distribution problem with parameter p).

3 out of 4 means just that: what is the probability that in four trials you get 3 successes (we'll call getting more than 5 vegetables in a salad a success).

(b) on any given day
P(x>5)=1-∑ P (x;5)
x=0
=1-0.6160
= .3840

so the above probability is wrong? for poisson process

But how do you know this? You did not give any information in your first post that allows you to write that. All you said was that 'on average' (which is not that well defined a term) it contained 5 vegetables on a given day. This does alone does not give you any significant information about the probability of having more than 5 vegetables in one one day. Not that what you wrote makes sense to me: why are you putting x=0?

If you want an illustration, then consider the following two scenarios.

1. The chef always puts 5 ingredients in the salad. The average (mean) number of ingredients is then 5. The probability on any given day you get (strictly) more than 5 is zero, hence the prob of getting more than 5 on 3 days out of 4 is zero.

2. the chef uses 4 or 6 ingredients with prob 1/2 each. The mean is then 5. The probability of getting more than 5 on 3 days out of 4 is 4*(1/2)^4 =1/4 (standard binomial dist, when prob of more than 5 on any day is 1/2, i.e. {4 choose 3}*(1/2)*(1/2)^3)

A chef prepares a tossed salad contaning on average 5 vegetables..Find the probability that the salad contains more then 5 vegetables
(A)on 3 of next 4 days
(b) on any given day
well now we have average =5
per day and then u can solve for b) the P(x>5) simple as that as far as i m concerned as u have average 5 on per day

ohh i got it the question would be valid in case of Probability < 5 ?thanks for making it clear:biggrin: :blushing:

No, you cannot do any of the things you say you can as the example I gave shows. If you think it is clear then one of us has failed to understand something. It should be rather clear that you can interchange the word more for less in the example I gave to reach the same conclusion.

Last edited:
Well below is the question stated in my course book
A resturant chef prepares a tossed salad containing on average 5 vegetables.Find the probability that the salad contains more then 5 vegetables
(a) On give Day
(b) On 3 of next 4 Days;
(c) for the first time in April on April 5

Well, your book is wrong; just think about the example I gave: unless you know the distribution of numbers on day you cannot work out any probabilities at all.

Thanks for ur help mate

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

In order to calculate probability, you need to know the total number of possible outcomes and the number of outcomes that meet a specific condition. The probability is then calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

3. How can I determine the probability of an event with multiple conditions?

If an event has multiple conditions, you can use the multiplication rule of probability. This rule states that the probability of two or more independent events occurring together is equal to the product of their individual probabilities.

4. What is the probability of the salad containing more than 5 vegetables?

The probability of the salad containing more than 5 vegetables depends on the total number of vegetables in the salad and the number of vegetables that are considered "more than 5". To calculate this probability, you would divide the number of salads with more than 5 vegetables by the total number of salads.

5. How can I increase the probability of the salad containing more than 5 vegetables?

In order to increase the probability of the salad containing more than 5 vegetables, you can add more vegetables to the salad or increase the size of the salad. The more vegetables there are in the salad, the higher the probability of it containing more than 5 vegetables.