Find the resultant of these two force vectors using the following methods.

In summary, the problem is to find the resultant of two force vectors (Fa and Fb) using the triangle, parallelogram, and mathematical methods. The given values for Fa and Fb are their magnitudes (10.0N and 5.0N, respectively) and their angles with the x-axis (25.0 degrees and 45.0 degrees, respectively). The solutions obtained using the three methods are 14.80N and 10 degrees for the parallelogram method, 15.39N and 30.31 degrees for the mathematical method, and 5.6 and 37.6 degrees for the triangle method. The student is seeking help as their calculated results are not consistent.
Brillntbrntt

Homework Statement

Find the resultant of the following vectors using these methods: triangle method, parallelogram method and mathematical method.
Fa is a force vector with magnitude of 10.0N and makes an angle of 25.0 degrees with the x-axis. Fb is a force vector with a magnitude of 5.0N and makes an angle of 45.0 degrees with the x-axis. Specify both the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

I've tried doing this problem using the triangle, parallelogram, and mathematical methods and all of my results are coming out different each time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attached my drawings and processes by which I arrived to the solutions, but each time I'm getting a different number. The magnitudes I've gotten are 14.80N for the parallelogram, 15.39 N for the mathematical, and 5.6 for the triangle. Directions are P:10 degrees, M:30.31 degrees and T:37.6 degrees. Please help!

I apologize in advance if the image isn't clear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, your images are much too small to determine what calculations you have made.

I'm new to the forum and it will only allow me to upload one photo so I tried putting them altogether. Do you have any suggestions on how I can upload each one individually?

I tried it again. Please see if they are clear now.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your work and concerns. It is not uncommon to get slightly different results when using different methods to find the resultant of force vectors. This is due to the fact that each method has its own assumptions and approximations, which can lead to slight variations in the final result.

In this case, it is important to note that the triangle and parallelogram methods assume that the force vectors are acting on a point or object at the same time, while the mathematical method calculates the resultant by considering the components of the vectors separately. Additionally, the triangle and parallelogram methods rely on graphical constructions, which can introduce some errors.

To ensure accuracy, it is recommended to use the mathematical method to find the resultant vector. This method involves breaking down the vectors into their x and y components, adding them separately, and then finding the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector using trigonometric functions.

In this problem, the x component of Fa would be 10.0N cos(25.0) = 9.15N, and the y component would be 10.0N sin(25.0) = 4.24N. Similarly, the x component of Fb would be 5.0N cos(45.0) = 3.54N, and the y component would be 5.0N sin(45.0) = 3.54N.

Adding these components separately, we get the resultant x component as 9.15N + 3.54N = 12.69N, and the resultant y component as 4.24N + 3.54N = 7.78N.

Using the Pythagorean theorem, the magnitude of the resultant vector would be √(12.69^2 + 7.78^2) = 14.80N. To find the direction, we can use the inverse tangent function, giving us an angle of 30.31 degrees.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and approximations made when using different methods to find the resultant of force vectors. The mathematical method is generally the most accurate, but it is always a good idea to check your work and use multiple methods to ensure consistency. I hope this helps clarify the situation. Good luck with your studies!

What are force vectors and how are they used in scientific research?

A force vector is a mathematical representation of a physical force, with both magnitude and direction. In scientific research, force vectors are used to analyze and predict the motion of objects, as well as to understand the forces at play in various systems and phenomena.

What is a resultant force and why is it important?

A resultant force is the single force that has the same effect on an object as all the individual forces acting on it combined. It is important because it allows us to simplify complex systems and make predictions about the motion of objects.

What are the different methods for finding the resultant of force vectors?

There are several methods for finding the resultant of force vectors, including graphical methods, algebraic methods, and trigonometric methods. These methods involve using vector addition and decomposition to determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

What are some real-world applications of finding the resultant of force vectors?

Finding the resultant of force vectors is crucial in many fields of science and engineering, including mechanics, physics, and aerospace engineering. It is used to calculate the forces acting on structures, vehicles, and other objects, as well as to predict the motion of these objects.

How does the angle between force vectors affect the magnitude and direction of the resultant force?

The angle between force vectors plays a significant role in determining the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. When the angle between the force vectors is small, the resultant force will be larger in magnitude and closer to the direction of the larger force. As the angle increases, the magnitude of the resultant force decreases and its direction becomes closer to the direction of the smaller force.