Find the resultant of these two force vectors using the following methods.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Brillntbrntt
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the resultant of the following vectors using these methods: triangle method, parallelogram method and mathematical method.
Fa is a force vector with magnitude of 10.0N and makes an angle of 25.0 degrees with the x-axis. Fb is a force vector with a magnitude of 5.0N and makes an angle of 45.0 degrees with the x-axis. Specify both the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

I've tried doing this problem using the triangle, parallelogram, and mathematical methods and all of my results are coming out different each time.

The Attempt at a Solution


I've attached my drawings and processes by which I arrived to the solutions, but each time I'm getting a different number. The magnitudes I've gotten are 14.80N for the parallelogram, 15.39 N for the mathematical, and 5.6 for the triangle. Directions are P:10 degrees, M:30.31 degrees and T:37.6 degrees. Please help!

I apologize in advance if the image isn't clear.
 
Attachments
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, your images are much too small to determine what calculations you have made.
 
I'm new to the forum and it will only allow me to upload one photo so I tried putting them altogether. Do you have any suggestions on how I can upload each one individually?
 
I tried it again. Please see if they are clear now.