1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the resultant of these two force vectors using the following methods.

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the resultant of the following vectors using these methods: triangle method, parallelogram method and mathematical method.
    Fa is a force vector with magnitude of 10.0N and makes an angle of 25.0 degrees with the x-axis. Fb is a force vector with a magnitude of 5.0N and makes an angle of 45.0 degrees with the x-axis. Specify both the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

I've tried doing this problem using the triangle, parallelogram, and mathematical methods and all of my results are coming out different each time.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've attached my drawings and processes by which I arrived to the solutions, but each time I'm getting a different number. The magnitudes I've gotten are 14.80N for the parallelogram, 15.39 N for the mathematical, and 5.6 for the triangle. Directions are P:10 degrees, M:30.31 degrees and T:37.6 degrees. Please help!!

I apologize in advance if the image isn't clear.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, your images are much too small to determine what calculations you have made.

4. Jan 27, 2013 #3
    I'm new to the forum and it will only allow me to upload one photo so I tried putting them altogether. Do you have any suggestions on how I can upload each one individually?

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4
    I tried it again. Please see if they are clear now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook