Find the static coefficient of friction

In summary, if the force is increased by a little bit, the box will not move. However, if the force is increased a lot, the box will move.
Havenater23

Homework Statement

You pull on a crate with a force of 50N at an angle of 25 degrees. The box doesn't move.?
What is the coefficient of friction and what is the frictional force?

I understand the forces are balanced, but are they balanced in the x and y direction. I've done the problem , but I get a coefficient of 2.14 , which I know isn't right. Can

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't find the coefficient without knowing the mass. It would be useful to see your work.
Do we know the box will move if the force is slightly larger? If not, we can only find a minimum value for the coefficient.

Hi Havenater23! :wink:

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

Okay, well basically this how I did it.

This is a rope pulling on the crate above the horizon at 25 degrees.
The components :
X= cos(25) 50N
Y= sin(25) 50N

Then I start calculating Net Force of Y
Fy = Fn - mg - sin(25) 50 N = ma
but A=o , because it's not moving .
So I guess it means Fn and Fg = sin(25) 50 N

Then calculate Net force of X
Fx = cos(25) 50 N - Ff = ma
Well Ff = sin25 50 N * u
Ff = Fn * u

Since a=o in x direction as well
Ff=cos(25) 50 N
Cos(25) 50 N = sin25 50 N * u

but my answer comes out too big.
I get like 2.14
Help ?

Can anyone help me? I know it's just a small error, I just don't know what.

Fy = Fn - mg - sin(25) 50 N = ma
but A=o , because it's not moving .
So I guess it means Fn and Fg = sin(25) 50 N
Something wrong here. The mg is down, the sin(25)*50 is up. They should have opposite signs. The normal force is the total force pressing the crate down:
Fn = mg - 50*sin(25)
(This counteracted by the floor pushing up, but we aren't interested in that!)

Your horizontal part looked good, but you had the wrong Fn so it will change quite a bit when you redo it.

1. What is the static coefficient of friction?

The static coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is not moving relative to the other. It is typically denoted by the symbol "μs" and is a dimensionless quantity.

2. How is the static coefficient of friction determined?

The static coefficient of friction is determined by conducting an experiment where a known force is applied to an object and the object is on a surface. The force is gradually increased until the object begins to move. The value of the force at this point is divided by the weight of the object to calculate the static coefficient of friction.

3. What factors affect the static coefficient of friction?

The static coefficient of friction is affected by several factors, including the type of materials in contact, the surface roughness, and the amount of force applied. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

4. Why is it important to know the static coefficient of friction?

Knowing the static coefficient of friction is important for understanding how objects will interact with each other when they are at rest. It can also be used to calculate the minimum force needed to move an object, which is useful in engineering and design applications.

5. How does the static coefficient of friction differ from the kinetic coefficient of friction?

The static coefficient of friction is the resistance between two surfaces when one is at rest, while the kinetic coefficient of friction is the resistance when the two surfaces are in motion relative to each other. The kinetic coefficient of friction is typically lower than the static coefficient of friction due to factors such as lubrication and surface wear.