Find the Sum of The Geometric Series

In summary, the conversation is about manipulating a geometric series with a starting index of 1 and finding the correct form of ar^n. The given series is rewritten as ((2/3)^3)^k = (8/27)^(k-1) * (8/27) and the values of a and r are determined to be 8/27. To adjust for the starting index, the index is changed from 1 to 0 and the resulting sum is subtracted by the first term to maintain the same total sum.
forestmine

Homework Statement

Ʃ(1 to infinity) (2/3)^(3n)

Homework Equations

For a geometric series, the series converges to a/1-r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really just confused about how to manipulate this so that it has a form of ar^n, especially since it starts at 1 rather than 0. I know that since the series starts at 1, we ought to have it in the form ar^n-1, but I'm at a loss as to how to go about.

I'm not really concerned with the answer so much as how one would go about getting it, and really understanding the process. It seems I'm having a hard time figuring out how to manipulate series and get them in the correct forms...

Any help in the right direction would be great. Thanks!

This is what I've come up with, but I'm not sure if it's correct...

We can rewrite the series as ((2/3)^3)^k = (8/27)^(k-1) * (8/27)

a = 8/27
r = 8/27

Computing a/1-r, I get 8/19...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, to fix the index problem, try just changing the index from 1 to 0 on your sum, and then subtracting off whatever you added to put the series in the correct form. Then the total sum should remain unchanged.

Thanks, I think I got it. I just get totally thrown off when the index isn't in the correct form, or when the series is blatantly obvious, haha.

Thank you, though!

The beginning index doesn't matter. In the sum ##\frac a {1-r}##, ##a## represents the first term, whatever it is with the starting index and ##r## is the common ratio. What did you get for ##r##?

FAQ: Find the Sum of The Geometric Series

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio. For example, the sequence 2, 6, 18, 54 is a geometric series with a common ratio of 3.

2. How do you find the sum of a geometric series?

The sum of a geometric series can be calculated using the formula Sn = a(1-rn)/(1-r), where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms in the series.

3. What is the difference between an infinite and finite geometric series?

An infinite geometric series has an infinite number of terms, while a finite geometric series has a specific number of terms. The sum of an infinite geometric series can be calculated if the common ratio is less than 1, while the sum of a finite geometric series can be calculated regardless of the common ratio.

4. How do you determine if a geometric series is convergent or divergent?

A geometric series is convergent if the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1. This means that as the number of terms increases, the sum of the series will approach a finite value. Conversely, a geometric series is divergent if the absolute value of the common ratio is greater than or equal to 1, meaning the sum will continue to increase without approaching a finite value.

5. Can a geometric series have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a geometric series can have a negative common ratio. This will result in alternating positive and negative terms in the series. However, the sum of a geometric series with a negative common ratio will only converge if the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1.