Find the temperature change of a person struck by lightning

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
dashortkid
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A lightning flash releases about 1010J of electrical energy.

If all this energy is added to 50 kg of water (the amount of water in a 165-lb person) at 37∘C, what are the final state and temperature of the water? The specific heat of water is 4180 J/kg⋅∘C, heat of vaporization at the boiling temperature for water is 2.256×106J/kg, the specific heat of steam is 1970 J/kg⋅∘C

Find ΔT in ∘C

Homework Equations


ΔU = Q - W
Q = mCΔT
Q = mL

The Attempt at a Solution


I found
Qwater = (50kg)(4180J/kg⋅∘C)(100-37) = 1.13167⋅10^7 J
Qphase change to steam = (50kg)(2.256×106J/kg) = 1.128⋅10^8 J
Qtotal = 1.13167⋅10^7 J + 1.128⋅10^8 J = 1.25967⋅10^8 J

I'm not sure what to do with the energy from the lightning strike in order to find the total change in temperature.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't figure out how to delete this thread, but I found out I didn't need any of that information or calculations. using Q=mCΔT > ΔT=Qlightning/Cm = 1*10^5 ∘C