1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the values of k so that lines are perpendicular using symetric equations

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Line 1: x-3/3k+1=Y+6/2=Z+3/2K
    Line 2: x+7/3=y+8/-2k=z+9/-3

2. Relevant equations
    Cross product and dot product

3. The attempt at a solution
    vector equation for line 1: (x,y,z)=(4,-4,-3)+k(3,0,2)

vector equation for line 2: (x,y,z)=(-4,-8,-12)+k(0,-2,0)

The product of (3,0,2)and (0,-2,0) is zero so they are perpendicular but i don't know how to find k :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

a) Use parentheses: you mean, I think (x-3)/(3k+1)= (y+6)/2= (z+ 3)/2k
    b) Don't use y and Y or k and K for the same thing. Those are different symbols and typically mean different values.

Setting each of those equal to t, (x-3)/(3k+1)= t so x- 3= (3k+1)t or x= 3+ (3k+1)t, (y+6)/2= t so y+ 6= 2t or y= -6+ 2t, and (z+3)/2k= t so z+ 3= 2kt or z= -3+ 2kt

(x+7)/3= t so x+ 7= 3t or x= -7+ 3t, (y+8)/(-2k)= t so y+8= -2kt or y= -8- 2kt, and (z+9)/(-3)= t so z+ 9= -3t or z= -9- 3t.

No, that is not an equation for line 1. For one thing, k is given in the symmetric equation: one value of k corresponds to one line so without another parameter, this would be just a single point, not a line.

Same comment.

You don't have equations for the lines. As I said above your vector equation should be
    (x, y, z)= (-7, -8, -3)+ t(3k+1, 2, 2k)t. The parameter t determines the point, k is fixed for a line.

For line 2, (x, y, z)= (-7, -8, -9)+ t(3, -2k, -3).

In order that the lines be perpendicular you must have (3k+1, 2, 2k).(3, -2k, -3)= 9k+ 3- 4k- 6k= -k+ 3= 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook