Find the volume of a sphere with respect to time

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
bobsmith76
Messages
336
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Screenshot2012-01-27at25235PM.png


I guess I should point out that the volume was known, which is 100 cm.

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't see why using the chain rule compels you to take the inverse of 4∏r^2. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a feeling that the solution is something like

100 = (4pir^2)/x

but that still is not right.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:
Screenshot2012-01-27at25235PM.png


I don't see why using the chain rule compels you to take the inverse of 4∏r^2. Any help would be appreciated.

They're simply solving [itex]\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}=4\pi r^2\frac{dr}{dt}\ \text{ for }\ \frac{dr}{dt}\,.[/itex]
 
Ok, now I got it. The way the book proceeded was a bit bewildering. I didn't see how dV/dt = 100, and r = 25, but now I do.