1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a sphere without cap

1. Dec 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid sphere of radius R has a spherical cap, defined by the cone theta = alpha, removed from its "north pole". Determine the volume of the sphere without cap.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well obviously, the volume would be volume of sphere - volume of cap.
    I am able to derive the volume of the sphere and obtain the formula 4(pi)r^3/3, but I am not sure about the volume of the cap. Is this the same cap that is talked about? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_cap
    If so, the volume would (pi)h^2/3(3r-h), and the answer could be found by subtracting the two quantities. My class focuses on deriving the quantities though, and I am confused and want to understand on where to start for deriving the volume of the cap.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

what does "theta=alpha" mean?
    Do you mean that the apex angle of the cone is ##\alpha##? The half-angle at the apex?

The cap is the regeon described in the wikipedia entry you linked to - yes.
    Why not use the same method for the volume of the cap that you used for the volume of the sphere?

For that matter - why not do it in one go by carefully choosing your limits of integration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted