Find the work done by the spring force on a box

In summary, the work done by the spring force is the transfer of energy from the spring to an object, resulting in a change in the object's position or motion. It can be calculated using the formula W = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. The spring force contributes to the work done on a box by exerting a force on the object as it moves from its equilibrium position, and this force can be either positive or negative. The spring force can also be negative if the displacement of the object is in the opposite direction of the spring force. The mass of the box indirectly affects the work done by the spring force. Finally, the
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

PHYS.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Wspring = ∫-k*xdx
limits of integration are 12 and 0
So
[0 - .12^2/2]*172 = -1.24J of force
Getting 1.8/2 points for this anser

Attachments

• PHYS.PNG
    PHYS.PNG
    11.2 KB · Views: 862
Physics news on Phys.org
isukatphysics69 said:
Looks like 175 to me.

Likes isukatphysics69
aw crap my dyslexicia is kicking in

Thank you

i think i mixed the 2 at the end of 12cm and the 175 together

isukatphysics69 said:
i think i mixed the 2 at the end of 12cm and the 175 together
We've all been there.

Likes isukatphysics69

1. What is the definition of work done by the spring force?

The work done by the spring force is the transfer of energy from the spring to an object, resulting in a change in the object's position or motion. It is measured in joules (J) and can be calculated using the formula W = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. How does the spring force contribute to the work done on a box?

The spring force contributes to the work done on a box by exerting a force on the object as it moves from its equilibrium position. This force can either do positive work (when the displacement and force are in the same direction) or negative work (when they are in opposite directions).

3. Can the work done by the spring force be negative?

Yes, the work done by the spring force can be negative if the displacement of the object is in the opposite direction of the spring force. This means that the spring is doing negative work on the object, causing it to lose energy.

4. How does the mass of the box affect the work done by the spring force?

The mass of the box does not directly affect the work done by the spring force. However, it does affect the displacement of the object and therefore can indirectly affect the work done. A heavier box will require more force to be displaced and will result in a larger work done by the spring force.

5. Can the work done by the spring force be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the work done by the spring force can be converted into other forms of energy such as kinetic energy or potential energy. As the spring force does work on the object, it transfers energy to the object, which can then be converted into other forms of energy as the object moves or changes position.