1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the X coordinate with slope of -2

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Function defined as:

y = The integral from 0 to x2 of 1 / (1 - Sqrt(t) + t)

There exists a point where the slope of the tangeant is = -2. Find the x coordinate at this point.

2. Relevant equations

Fundemental Theorem of Calculus

3. The attempt at a solution

If I use FTC and replace t with x2. Then I get two equations because sqrt(x2) is +/- x. I use those to create two seperate equations.

y = 2x and y = 2x/1+2x

These should be 2 equations for the tangeant line but I am unsure what to do next.

This was on my exam yesterday and I tried some things, none of which seemed right. I know I lost mark just would like to know how many. :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming you mean: [tex]y(x)\equiv \int_0^{x^2} \frac{1}{1-\sqrt{t}+t}dt[/tex] and y'(x)=2x or 2x/(1+2x) , then you have the right idea. However, [tex]1-\sqrt{x^2}+x^2=1-|x|+x^2[/tex] not 1 or 1+2x!.....And y'(x) is the equation for the slope of the tangent line, not the tangent line itself!

So, where does y'(x)=-2?
  4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    I forgot one of the squares on the bottom, bad mistake.

So my equation becomes:
    y' = 2x / 1 - |x| + x2

-2 = 2x / 1 - |x| + x2 but we know x is positive because of the range of the original question so it becomes:

-2 = 2x / 1 - x + x2

Solve for x = 1? I still don't think that is quite right.
  5. Dec 10, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did this come from? You didn't say anything about a range or domain (which is what I think you really mean) before. The only reference to the variable was a "x2 in which x can be positive of negative.

That isn't at all right because x= 1 does NOT satify that equation!

But if you take x to be negative then you must have -2= 2x/(1+ x+ x2) so that -1- x- x2= x or x2+ 2x+ 1= 0. What negative solution does that have? Does it satisfy -2= 2x/(1- |x|+ x2)?
  6. Dec 10, 2008 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As Halls said, unless you are explicitly told that x must be positive, you must examine two cases: (1)x is positive and (2)x is negative.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?