Solving an AC Circuit Problem with R, L, C Values

In summary, the author is trying to solve a math problem involving phase angles and capacitors, but is having difficulty. They eventually figure out that the phase angle is negative 8 degrees, and that the current lags the voltage by 7.53°.
Korisnik

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/HTGycr8.png?1
[tex]f = 248 Hz\Rightarrow \omega = 1558.23r/s\\ L = 34 mH\\R = 7\Omega\\\alpha = -6°\\C=? [/tex]
Alpha is the angle between current and voltage (V - I).
[tex]X_L=\omega\times L=1558.23 * 34 * 10^-3 = 52.9798 \Omega[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\arctan{\frac{R}{X}} = \alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I tried combining everything into one impedance, then I would find real and imaginary part:
[tex]\frac{\Re{Z}}{\Im{Z}} = \tan{\alpha}[/tex]
but I can't get past some maths and I know this is probably a problem; so far (jX_L = L, -jX_C = C):

[tex]\frac{RL(C+R)}{(C+R)(R+L)+RL}[/tex] now if I were to plug everything in I would get something very complicated... Now I need to get this denominator to something simple, but I don't know how to do it the easy way... it's too tedious... is there a simpler way?

Also, if the problem stated that current and voltage were in phase, I could combine R and L that are separate (in first and last branch) in one branch (a series) then use this formula: [tex]\omega_0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}} \times\sqrt{\frac{R_C^2 - L/C}{R_L^2 - L/C}}[/tex]? I tried to do that exactly and it didn't work, I checked several times with the given result...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. Are you sure about that phase angle being negative 8 degrees? If you ignore the capacitor branch for a moment and calculate the phase angle associated with what's left (parallel R and L), then the result is -7.53°. That is, the current lags the voltage by 7.53°. That's as negative as it's going to get if all you can do is add capacitive reactance in parallel.

gneill said:
Hmm. Are you sure about that phase angle being negative 8 degrees? If you ignore the capacitor branch for a moment and calculate the phase angle associated with what's left (parallel R and L), then the result is -7.53°. That is, the current lags the voltage by 7.53°. That's as negative as it's going to get if all you can do is add capacitive reactance in parallel.
Eh, right, it's -6°.

Okay, that would make more sense.

Try working with admittances rather than impedances. The admittance will have the same phase angle as the current since I = U*Y and U has only a real component. The math will still be nasty, but perhaps a bit less so. The admittance of the lone resistor branch is 1/R and purely real. The admittance of the inductor branch is -1/XL and purely imaginary (XL being the reactance). You should be able to write an expression for the admittance of the RC branch and split it into real and imaginary components without too much difficulty. After that the nastiness begins :nb)

gneill said:
Okay, that would make more sense.

Try working with admittances rather than impedances. The admittance will have the same phase angle as the current since I = U*Y and U has only a real component. The math will still be nasty, but perhaps a bit less so. The admittance of the lone resistor branch is 1/R and purely real. The admittance of the inductor branch is -1/XL and purely imaginary (XL being the reactance). You should be able to write an expression for the admittance of the RC branch and split it into real and imaginary components without too much difficulty. After that the nastiness begins :nb)
I did it now 3 times only to remember that the angle is of the opposite sign (+) and then the result was fine. Also i think i figured out why the formula for resonance didnt work -- i didnt change L later (i.e. i left it as it was, in parallel: which it wasn't)...

Thank you very much. :)

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses alternating current to transmit electricity. This means that the direction of the current changes periodically, unlike in a DC (direct current) circuit where the current flows in only one direction.

2. What are R, L, and C values in an AC circuit?

R, L, and C refer to the three basic components of an AC circuit: resistance (R), inductance (L), and capacitance (C). Resistance is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electricity, while inductance is the property of a circuit that causes a voltage to be generated in response to a change in current. Capacitance is the ability of a circuit to store electrical charge.

3. How do you solve an AC circuit problem with R, L, and C values?

To solve an AC circuit problem with R, L, and C values, you will need to use a combination of Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and the equations for calculating voltage, current, and impedance in an AC circuit. You will also need to use complex numbers and phasors to represent the varying values of voltage and current in an AC circuit.

4. What are the common methods for solving an AC circuit problem?

The most common methods for solving an AC circuit problem with R, L, and C values are the phasor method and the impedance method. The phasor method involves representing the varying values of voltage and current as complex numbers, while the impedance method involves using the equations for calculating voltage, current, and impedance in an AC circuit.

5. What are some tips for solving an AC circuit problem with R, L, and C values?

Some tips for solving an AC circuit problem with R, L, and C values include drawing a schematic diagram of the circuit, using a systematic approach, and checking your calculations using both the phasor and impedance methods. It is also important to have a good understanding of the principles of AC circuits and to practice solving various types of problems.