1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find vector collinear to sum of other two vectors

1. Aug 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find vector [itex]\overrightarrow{c}[/itex] collinear with the vector [itex]\overrightarrow{a}+\overrightarrow{b}[/itex], if [itex]\overrightarrow{a} \cdot \overrightarrow{b}=5[/itex] and [itex]\overrightarrow{c} \cdot \overrightarrow{b} = 18[/itex], [itex]|\overrightarrow{b}|=2[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]|\overrightarrow{a} \times \overrightarrow{b}| = |\overrightarrow{a}||\overrightarrow{b}|sin(\overrightarrow{a},\overrightarrow{b})[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}=\det \begin{bmatrix} \mathbf{i} & \mathbf{j} & \mathbf{k} \\ a_1 & a_2 & a_3 \\ b_1 & b_2 & b_3 \\ \end{bmatrix}.[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{a} \cdot \overrightarrow{b} = |\overrightarrow{a}||\overrightarrow{b}|cos(\overrightarrow{a},\overrightarrow{b})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

1z1qxeb.png

Before I started I found some (I believe) error in the task.

If I subtract the given equations like a.b-c.b=-13 and b(a-c)=-13

|b||a-c|cos(b, a-c) = -13

As we can see on the picture a-c0=-b

|b||a-pc0|cos(b,a-pc0)=-13

Edit: Ok, there isn't error I mixed c0 and c.

Now, let me start.

I approach

c = p(a+b), because c and a+b are collinear, where p is real number.

From the given conditions.

|a||b|cos(a,b)=5

|c||b|cos(c,b)=18

|a|cos(a,b)=5/2

|c|cos(c,b)=18/2

c.(a+b)=|c||a+b|cos(c,a+b)=|c||c0|cos(c,c0)=|c|

Here is where I am stuck...:confused:

II approach

c x (a+b) = 0

c x a + c x b =0

But as you can see I got no coordinates for the vectors, so this is 2nd fail...:mad:

I am dealing with this task for 1 hour and seems like I can't find any way to solve it.

The result in the textbook is c = 2(a+b)

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the simple fact that if two vectors are collinear, one is a scalar multiple of the other. Then you can write

c = k (a + b)

All you need to do is find k. Do you see how to do that in view of the given information?

4. Aug 21, 2009 #3

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

After reading your attempt more carefully, I saw that my hint will not really help you because you've been there. What I call k you call p. So here comes the next hint, what do you get when you dot both sides with b?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  5. Aug 21, 2009 #4
    Aaah... I see now.

c.b = (ka+kb).b

18=k(a.b) +k(b.b)

18=5k+4k

9k=18

k=2

Thanks a mill. times, I didn't spot that thing (I thought it was something more complicated).

Regards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook