1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra vector and lines in r3

1. Sep 20, 2014 #1
    Let $$A(2,-1,1)$$, $$B$$ and $$C$$ be the vertices of a triangle where $$\overrightarrow{AB}$$ is parallel to $$\vec{v}=(2,0,-1), $$$$\overrightarrow{BC}$$ is parallel to $$\vec{w}=(1,-1,1)$$ and $$\angle(BAC)=90°$$. Find the equation of the line through $$\(A\)$$ and $$\(C\)$$ in vector and parametric forms.

Well, there is not much I can do here. I could find the equation of the plane:
    $$-x-3y-2z=-1$$ by finding the normal of the two vectors given.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2014 #2
    I only wish to have a hint.

4. Sep 20, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, I suggest you don't use the same notation for points as vectors. I would suggest angle brackets for vectors, i.e., ##\vec v = \langle 2,0,-1\rangle##. Second, are you sure you have stated the problem correctly? As it is, there is more than one solution. For example, you could just take side AB equal to your ##\vec v##, go the right distance along the ##\vec w## direction to make AC perpendicular to AB. Once you have one solution you could extend both legs of the right triangle proportionally to a larger similar triangle. Infinitely many answers.

5. Sep 21, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

(On this board use "itex" and "/itex" for formulas you want to be "inline". That would not give that strange spacing!)

You are told that line [itex]\overline{AB}[/itex] is parallel to vector <2, 0, -1>. That should tell you immediately that line [itex]\overline{AB}[/itex] can be written in parametric form [itex]x= 2t+ x_0[/itex], [itex]y= y_0[/itex], [itex]z= -t+ z_0[/itex] where [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] can be any point on the line. Since the point A itself is given as (2, -1, 1), the line is [itex]x= 2t+ 2[/itex], [itex]y= -1[/itex], [itex]z= -t+ 1[/itex].

Similarly, we can write line [itex]\overline{BC}[/itex] as [itex]x= t+ x_1[/itex], [itex]y= -t+ y_1[/itex], [itex]z= t+ z_1[/itex] but we are not given a point on
    [itex]\overline{BC}[/itex].

We do know, however, that [itex]\overline{AC}[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]\overline{AB}[/itex] so must be in the plane through A normal to [itex]\overline{AB}[/itex]: [itex]2(x- 2)- (z- 1)= 0[/itex] as well as lying in the same plane that [itex]\overline{BC}[/itex] is in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted