1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing the parallelogram law with a simplistic knowledge of vectors

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the sum of the squared side lengths of a parallelogram is equal to the sum of its squared diagonals.

2. Somewhat relevant thoughts

I've decided to try to show the parallelogram law with vectors, since I already managed to find an Elements-inspired proof of it. However, I couldn't translate that into vectors, and I can't seem to figure this one out on my own. I found another proof that uses normed vector spaces that I didn't understand. My knowledge of vectors is pretty much limited to scalar products, vector products and the volume function.

3. The attempt at a solution

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1478/parai.png [Broken]

Using the parallelogram representation in the figure above, it seems relevant to show that [tex]|\overrightarrow{AB}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{BC}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{DC}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{AD}|^2 = |\overrightarrow{AC}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{BD}|^2[/tex] (1)

[tex]|\overrightarrow{AB}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{BC}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{DC}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{AD}|^2 = 2|\overrightarrow{AB}|^2 + 2|\overrightarrow{AD}|^2 = 2|\overrightarrow{AM} + \overrightarrow{MB}|^2 + 2|\overrightarrow{AM} + \overrightarrow{MD}|^2 = 2|.5 \overrightarrow{AC} + .5 \overrightarrow{DB}|^2 + 2|.5 \overrightarrow{AC} - .5 \overrightarrow{DB}|^2 =[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{2} (|\overrightarrow{AC} + \overrightarrow{DB}|^2 + |\overrightarrow{AC} - \overrightarrow{DB}|^2)[/tex]

The latter step seems like a reasonably important geometric identity, but I'm unable to get anywhere with it. All further attempts I've made have either created more complexity and ultimately been dead-ends, or have been wrong. Any suggestions?

I also noticed that the R.H.S. of (1) can be written as [tex]2|\overrightarrow{AM}|^2 + 2|\overrightarrow{MD}|^2[/tex], which is somewhat algebraically and geometrically similar to the [tex]2|\overrightarrow{AM} + \overrightarrow{MB}|^2 + 2|\overrightarrow{AM} + \overrightarrow{MD}|^2[/tex] step above.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

scratch last bit....

if i follow correctly, i think you might be close, how about expanding your last line by expressing the magnitude squared as a dot product of the vector inside with itself

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook