1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find volume of circle. Cross-sections are squares. What am I doing wrong? :/

1. Jan 21, 2013 #1
    Hi, everyone. I am just trying to do some practice problems on finding volume.

So this is the one I'm working on:

1. "Find the volume of the solid described below:

The solid lies between the planes perpendicular to the x-axis at x=6 and x=-6. The cross-sections perpendicular to the axis on the interval -6≤x≤6 are squares whose bases run from the semicircle y= -√(36 - x^2) to the semicircle y= √(36 - x^2)."

2. I first drew out the object, which is a sphere with a radius of 6.

Every cross-section is a square, so each will have an area s^2. The area of each cross-section is 2(√(36 - x^2))^2.

To find the volume, the dx represents the thickness of each square that fills the sphere.

2∫-6 to 6 of (√(36 - x^2))^2

= 2∫36 - x^2

= 2(36x - (x^3)/3)dx |-6 to 6

= Plug in values... Answer = 576units^3

But this is counted as the wrong answer! What am I doing wrong here?! :/
    Thanks for your help! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the area of each cross section should be (2√(36 - x^2))^2 not 2(√(36 - x^2))^2. See the difference?

4. Jan 21, 2013 #3
    Oh, yes, I see what you mean. Since every cross-section has a side of 2√(36 - x^2), this whole thing is what needs to be squared.

But- I did this in another problem, and it led me to the wrong answer! That is why I switched it to 2(√(36 - x^2))^2.

The other problem was this:

"Find the volume of the solid describe below:

The solid lies between the planes perpendicular to the x-axis at x=0 and x=6 . The cross-sections perpendicular to the axis on the interval 0≤x≤6 are squares whose diagonals run from the parabola y= -√(x) to the parabola y= √(x)."

So when I drew out the graph, it looked sort of like a parabola turned on its side.

Since every cross-section is a square, the area = s^2.
    Following the should-be-correct-method, the area of each square = (2√(x))^2

∫0 to 6 of (2√(x))^2dx

= ∫4xdx

= 4(1/2*x^2) |0 to 6

= 4(1/2(6)^2) - 0

= 72
    This is counted as the wrong answer! The correct answer is 36!

I get 36 only when I separate the 2 from the (√(x))^2. But we already went over how that would be incorrect.

So what is wrong here...?
    Thanks so much for the help! :)

5. Jan 21, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the first case they are giving you the side of the square s. Then the area is s^2. In the second case they are giving you the diagonal of the square. If the diagonal of the square is s, what's the area?

6. Jan 21, 2013 #5
    Oh, right! Thanks!

I thought that if the diagonals run from the parabola y=-√(x) to y=√(x),
    then each diagonal should equal 2*√(x)

So since eace DIAGONAL = 2√(x), we have to figure out the length of each SIDE!

2√(x)= side*√2

[2√(x)]/√(2) = side

∫0 to 6 of [(2√(x))/√(2)]^2 dx

= ∫4x/2 dx= ∫2x dx

= (2x^2)/2 |0 to 6

= (6)^2 - (0)^2

= 36

So, yay, I get the right answer. But am I thinking about the diagonals and sides correctly?

Thank you! :)

7. Jan 21, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes you are. If they give you a side s then the area is s^2. If they give you a diagonal d, then s=d/sqrt(2) so the area is d^2/2.

8. Jan 21, 2013 #7
    Oh, okay. Thank you! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook