Find x,y,z in Sequence: 33, ?,?,?,88

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary: Thanks again for taking the time to answer :)In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of three equations to find the values of variables x, y, and z. The method of back-substitution and transforming the equations into upper-triangular form is mentioned as a way to solve the system. The conversation also includes an example of how to use these methods to solve a system of equations.
adjacent
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The last two terms, are added together to produce the next term

##-33,x,y,z,88##
##\text{Find }x,y\text{ and }z##

Homework Equations

##y=x-33##
##x+y=z##
##y+z=88##

The Attempt at a Solution

By substituting the expression for y in the third equation for the first equation, we get:
##88-z=x-33 \rightarrow x=121-z##
Again, by substituting the expression for y in the first equation for the second equation we get:
##x+(x-33)=z \rightarrow 2x-33=z##

So we get two equations,
##x=121-z##
##2x-33=z##

Solving both gives the right answers but I remember getting the wrong answer by not including one of the equations there.
Is there any easy way to solve all three equations at once?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "solve all three at once". I get this image of just immediately writing down the values for x, y, and z! I could not do that!:-p

But you can rewrite the first equation as y- x= -33. Adding that to x+ y= z gives 2y= z- 33. The last equation, y+ z= 88, is equivalent to y= -z+ 88. Adding those equations, 3y= 55.

That's about as simple as I can make it.

HallsofIvy said:
But you can rewrite the first equation as y- x= -33. Adding that to x+ y= z gives 2y= z- 33. The last equation, y+ z= 88, is equivalent to y= -z+ 88. Adding those equations, 3y= 55.

That's about as simple as I can make it.

Oh, I must have made some silly mistake in the previous calculations. Thanks :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "solve all three at once". I get this image of just immediately writing down the values for x, y, and z! I could not do that!:-p
Haha, I mean like how you solve two simultaneous equation, is there a method for solving three simultaneous equations like this? Other than substituting the values?

This system of linear equations, like any other, can be solved by first writing it in upper-triangular form then using the method of back-substitution. Let's first define the terms we used: A system in upper-triangular form is one like: $$\left\{\begin{array}{rl}4x-3y+2z&=-5\\14y+2z&=18\\-4z&=3\end{array}\right.,\qquad\left\{\begin{array}{rl}
15x-2y+z&=1\\
3z&=-8\end{array}\right..$$ As you can see, what's common about them is that if ##x## appears in no equation other than the first one and ##y## appears in no equation after the second... (It is possible that ##y## may not even appear in the second equation as in e.g.2)
You can easily solve systems in this type using the method of back-substitution. Take the first example, using the third equation you solve for ##z## to get ##z=-\tfrac34##, you substitute that value in the second equation to get ##14y-\tfrac32=18## which can be used to solve for ##y##, and when you get your value for ##y##, you substitute it in the first equation along with your value for ##z## to solve for ##x##.
What's interesting now is that you can try to transform any system you have in upper-triangular form, then you use back-substitution and you're done. The basic way we proceed with this task consists of applying the elementary operations which are: 1. multiplying both sides of an equation by a nonzero constant, 2. interchanging the order of two equations, 3. adding to one equation a multiple of another.
I think this will give you enough information to solve any system in 3 variables or more. If you need to know more then just ask away.

Likes 1 person
Thank you so much HakimPhilo!
I think I can do better with systems of 3 equations now.

Related to Find x,y,z in Sequence: 33, ?,?,?,88

1. How can I find the missing numbers in the sequence?

The missing numbers in this sequence can be found by looking for a pattern or rule. In this case, there is a pattern of adding 11 between each number. So the missing numbers are 44, 55, and 66.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve this sequence?

Yes, a calculator can be used to solve this sequence. You can use the calculator's addition function to add 11 between each number until you reach 88.

3. Is there only one possible solution for this sequence?

No, there are multiple solutions for this sequence. As long as the pattern of adding 11 between each number is followed, any numbers can be used to fill in the missing values.

4. Can this sequence be solved without using addition?

Yes, this sequence can be solved without using addition. Other mathematical operations such as multiplication or division can also be used to find the missing numbers.

5. How can this sequence be used in real life applications?

This sequence can be used in various ways, such as in coding or programming to generate a series of numbers, in mathematical puzzles or games, or in finding missing values in a data set or pattern recognition. It can also be used to practice and improve mathematical skills.