Finding a book by some citations

In summary, Moshe is looking for a book about statistic applications and doesn't know the name or any other details. He has tried a couple of Google searches and found no results. He has tried to track down the author of the pdf and found that the author is the same as the author of the pdf provided. Moshe has also tried to track down the year and publisher of the book. He has tried tracking down the equation using Google and Latex but has not been successful.
Kadardur
Hello! I am looking for a book about statistic applications, I don't know the name or any other ditails, just some quotes. I don't have too much experience in such search. If anyone can help me I will be very thankful. There is a PDF file attached, there is some questions and solutions, I guess some of it is just copy-paste from a book which I want to find.
Thanks in advance!
Moshe

Attachments

• 52325 Moed B 2018 (2).pdf
    170.7 KB · Views: 273
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried a couple on google but no luck. The trick I use is to find strings that look somewhat unique and search on them hoping for a hit. Google has digitized a lot of books and sometimes you get lucky.

The other option is to track down the prof that wrote the pdf and see if he/she remembers what book they used.

One last stretch would be to note when you first encountered the text and try to determine the year and possibly publisher and eventually you might narrow it down to an author.

Have you tried your university library? The librarians may have tricks or resources for tracking this down too.

How did you find it?

Via the author name?

I didn’t try that because I thought that was the instructor and that the book was from a different author.

Way to go!

Thanks.

I didn't try the author in the pdf provided.

The usual strategy is trying not so common phrases in quotes..., gradually splitting into multiple quotes phrases if no matches are found.
Eventually I came upon:
"The m.s.e. risk" of this "estimator is given by"
https://www.google.com/search?&q="The+m.s.e.+risk"+of+this+"estimator+is+given+by"

and then I noticed that one of the results matched the author of the small pdf provided.
So, then I reconsidered the role of the author in the pdf.

Thus, some doubt in my reply "Is it this?"

Likes jedishrfu
Yeah that’s more or less the same strategy I followed but I think I got tripped up by the latex expressions in the strings I chose.

That’s great though that you found it.

That is great! Thank you!
I also tried to use Google for the same phrases, m.s.e risk, ect... But I didn't find it. I thought try to write a part of the equation in Latex, I was just reading how to do it, but there you found it. I think I am going to learn Latex anyway, it seems useful.
Thank you again!

Likes jedishrfu
My dream of a mathematical search engine isn't here yet.
I don't want a search for [itex] y=mx+b[/itex] to bring up only [itex] y=mx+b[/itex],
but...
I want it to also bring up [itex] Z=At+B[/itex] and [itex] Q^{ab}=\lambda G^{ab}+K^{ab}[/itex].

You'll have to wait for AGI I guess.

1. How do I find a book by its citation?

To find a book by its citation, you can start by searching for the author's name, title, and publication year in a library catalog or online database. You can also try searching for the book's ISBN or using the citation information to locate the book in a citation index.

2. What if I only have some of the citation information?

If you only have some of the citation information, you can try searching for different combinations of the available information. You can also try searching for the book using a search engine, as it may lead you to websites or databases that have the full citation and information about where to find the book.

3. Can I use the citation to find an electronic version of the book?

Yes, you can use the citation to find an electronic version of the book. Many libraries and databases offer electronic versions of books, and you can often access them using the citation information. You can also try searching for the book on websites like Google Books or Project MUSE.

4. How do I know if I have the correct book based on the citation?

You can verify that you have the correct book by checking the author's name, title, and publication year listed in the citation against the information in the book. You can also use the ISBN or other unique identifiers to confirm that you have the correct edition of the book.

5. What should I do if I can't find the book using the citation?

If you are unable to find the book using the citation, you can try reaching out to a librarian for assistance. They may be able to help you locate the book or suggest alternative resources. You can also try expanding your search to include different versions of the citation or searching for the book using different keywords.