Finding a useful denial

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
In summary, the useful denial for the given statements is (∃x∈U)(¬Q(x)∧¬P(x)) and (∀x∈U)(¬Q(x)∨¬P(x)), with an implication stating that if Q is true then P is false and vice versa.
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

Let U be universe under consideration, let P(x) and Q(x) be predicate with free variable x. Find a useful denial.

1. (∀x∈U)(Q(x)∨P(x))
2. (∃x∈U)(Q(x)∧P(x)). Use implication afterwards.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My answer for 1 is:

(∃x∈U)(¬Q(x)∧¬P(x))

My answer for 2 is:

(∀x∈U)(¬Q(x)∨¬P(x)), and the implication would be if Q is true then P is false.

I am unsure of if the implication is correct as I am new to this.

Are my answers correct?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ver_mathstats said:

Homework Statement

Let U be universe under consideration, let P(x) and Q(x) be predicate with free variable x. Find a useful denial.

1. (∀x∈U)(Q(x)∨P(x))
2. (∃x∈U)(Q(x)∧P(x)). Use implication afterwards.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My answer for 1 is:

(∃x∈U)(¬Q(x)∧¬P(x))

My answer for 2 is:

(∀x∈U)(¬Q(x)∨¬P(x)), and the implication would be if Q is true then P is false.

I am unsure of if the implication is correct as I am new to this.

Are my answers correct?

Thank you.
Yes, this is correct. If Q is true, then P has to be false and vice versa: If P is true, then Q has to be false. They still can both be false.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, this is correct. If Q is true, then P has to be false and vice versa: If P is true, then Q has to be false. They still can both be false.
Thank you for checking it over.

1. What is a useful denial?

A useful denial is a form of denial that can be beneficial in certain situations. It involves acknowledging the truth of a situation, but choosing to focus on the positive aspects or finding a silver lining. This can help individuals cope with difficult situations and maintain a more optimistic outlook.

2. How can I determine if my denial is useful?

The best way to determine if your denial is useful is to consider how it affects your thoughts and behaviors. If your denial helps you to stay positive and motivated, then it is likely a useful form of denial. However, if it causes you to ignore important issues or avoid dealing with problems, it may not be as beneficial.

3. Can denial be harmful?

Yes, denial can be harmful if it is used as a way to completely ignore or avoid reality. This can lead to problems being left unresolved and can prevent individuals from making necessary changes in their lives. It is important to use denial in a healthy and productive way.

4. How can I find a useful denial in a difficult situation?

Finding a useful denial in a difficult situation can be challenging, but it is possible. One way to do this is to focus on the positive aspects of the situation or find a lesson or opportunity for growth. It can also be helpful to seek support from others and practice self-care to maintain a positive mindset.

5. Is it possible to use denial in a healthy way?

Yes, denial can be used in a healthy way as a coping mechanism. It is important to acknowledge and accept the truth of a situation, but then choose to focus on the positive aspects or find a way to move forward. It is also important to be aware of when denial is no longer useful and to seek professional help if needed.