Finding a value for a y(0) = a in a IVP

• MHB
  • Thread starter nathancurtis111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp Value
In summary, the initial value problem has a solution for any value of a ∈ R and the maximal solution can be found explicitly using the substitution u=xy.
nathancurtis111
Find the value of a ∈ R for which the initial value problem:

(S) {(xy' +y)/(1+x2y2)=1
{y(0)= a

has a solution and, for this value of a, find explicitly the maximal solution of (S).

I'm assuming I first find the implicit solution of the original diff eq (which I'm not too sure how to do given the equation) and then find a number a which will not make the eq undefined? I'm not too sure how to go about this one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have some derivatives in an expression there, but it's not a differential equation, because there's no equals sign. Is there more to the expression?

My apologies, it is equal to 1, will edit original post to include that.

Try the substitution $u=xy$. Then $u'=y+xy'$. Can you continue?

As a scientist, your response to this content would be:

To find the value of a ∈ R for which the initial value problem has a solution, we first need to find the implicit solution of the original differential equation. This can be done by using techniques such as separation of variables or integrating factors. Once we have the implicit solution, we can then substitute in the initial condition y(0) = a to find the specific value of a that will give a solution to the problem.

However, it is important to note that there may be cases where no value of a will give a solution to the problem, as the equation may become undefined or have no real solutions. In these cases, we would say that the initial value problem has no solution.

Once we have found the value of a for which the initial value problem has a solution, we can then find the maximal solution of (S) by using the implicit solution and the value of a. This will give us the largest possible interval in which the solution exists. It is important to note that this solution may not be unique, as there may be other values of a that also give a solution to the problem.

1. How do I determine the value of y(0) in an initial value problem (IVP)?

The value of y(0) in an IVP can be determined by plugging in the given initial conditions into the differential equation. This will give you a specific value for y(0) that satisfies the equation.

2. Can the value of y(0) be any number in an IVP?

No, the value of y(0) must be a specific number that satisfies the differential equation and any given initial conditions. It cannot be any arbitrary number.

3. What is the significance of finding the value of y(0) in an IVP?

The value of y(0) is important because it represents the starting point of the solution to the differential equation. It is the value of the dependent variable at the initial time or starting point.

4. Can the value of y(0) change as the independent variable changes in an IVP?

Yes, the value of y(0) can change as the independent variable changes in an IVP. This is because the solution to the differential equation is a function of the independent variable, and therefore the initial condition can change as the independent variable changes.

5. Is it possible to solve an IVP without knowing the value of y(0)?

No, the value of y(0) is a crucial piece of information that is needed to solve an IVP. Without this initial condition, it is not possible to find a specific solution to the differential equation.