1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Acceleration of Two blocks connected by a string.

1. Apr 27, 2013 #1
    1. Two blocks made of different materials connected together by a thin cord, slide down a plane ramp inclined at an angle θ to the horizontal. The masses of the blocks are mA and mB and the coefficients of friction are μA and μB.

GIANCOLI.ch05.p021.jpg
    PART A
    If μA < μB, determine a formula for the acceleration of block A in terms of mA, mB, and θ.
    PART B
    If μA > μB, determine a formula for the acceleration of block A in terms of mA, mB, and θ.

3. I got Part A right, of which aA, 1= (mAgsinθ+mBgsinθ-AmAgcosθ-μBgcosθ)/(mA+mB)

For Part B, I attempted it to solve it, and got the same answer as I did in Part A, yet MasteringPhysics says this is incorrect. Am I doing anything wrong? "The correct answer does not depend on the variables: mA, mB, or μB. "

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Do the blocks have the same acceleration?

4. Apr 27, 2013 #3
    Oh, got it. I simply assumed that if μAB, then the blocks would end up touching each other and have the same acceleration;

I see now that's not the case. I got aA, 2= g(sinθ- μAcosθ). Thanks for your quick response and help, Doc Al!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted