Finding acceleration of two objects in a pulley system

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a diagram of a pulley system. The problem asks for the acceleration of a lower block given its mass, a force acting on it, and the coefficients of kinetic friction between the blocks and the surface and between the blocks themselves. The conversation also includes an attempt at a solution and a discussion about the inclusion of both friction forces on the bottom block.
kathyt.25

Homework Statement

"In the diagram shown below, the lower block is acted on by a force, F, which has a magnitude of 74.4 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the surface is 0.269. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the upper block is also 0.269. What is the acceleration of the lower block, if the mass of the lower block is 3.27 kg and the mass of the upper block is 2.02 kg?"

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/kathy_felldown/kn-pic0828.png

I think I understand the system and the forces involved, and I was able to come up with the equations and substitute them, can someone just verify that my methods are correct?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For object m2, on the bottom:
Fnet(x) = n2 - m2*g = 0 --> n2 = m2*g
Fnet(y) = Fa - u*n2 - T = ma --> T = Fa - u*n2 - m2*a [EQUATION #1]

For object m1, on the top:
Fnet(x) = n1 - m1*g = 0 --> n1 = m1*g
Fnet(y) = T - u*n1 = m1*a --> T = m1*a + u*n1 [EQUATION #2]

Substitute m1*g for n1 and m2*g for n2, then...
Equate equation #1 to equation #2 and isolate for acceleration, "a", so that:
a = Fa - u*g(m2 - m1) / (m1 + m2)
Since the two objects are connected in the pulley system, their accelerations will be the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your Fnet(x)'s (where it seems you have x-axis running vertically).

However, check your freebody diagram's again. There are two friction forces working an the bottom block (top and bottom). It looks to me like you left one out of the equation.

Chrisas said:
However, check your freebody diagram's again. There are two friction forces working an the bottom block (top and bottom). It looks to me like you left one out of the equation.

Why would both friction forces be affecting the bottom block? Isn't it just the friction on the surface that the bottom block is sliding on (as in the ground) that affects its movement?

It goes something like this: Newton said for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction (or something along those lines, too lazy to look it up).

If a friction force is being generated on the top block by the motion of the bottom block, then the bottom block feels an equal but opposite reaction from the top block.

Another way to think of it is to imagine sitting on the top block. You see yourself moving across the bottom block and friction force is being generated to oppose your motion. Now imagine sitting on the bottom block. Not only do you see yourself moving across the floor with a friction force opposing your motion, but you also see a top block moving on top of you also with friction opposing your motion.

Hmm...now that I think of it, I think we both forgot that in the vertical direction on the bottom block you need to have the floor normal force upwards, the gravity force downwards, and, another normal force pointing upwards (EDIT: Ack downwards I mean - need sleep) that is equal and opposite to the normal force of the top block. The floor normal force should come out to be equal to the weight of both blocks. But right now in your equation, it only equals the weight of the bottom block.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of two objects in a pulley system?

The acceleration of two objects in a pulley system can be calculated using the formula a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where a is the acceleration, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. What is a pulley system and how does it affect acceleration?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a grooved wheel and a rope or cable to lift or move objects. In a pulley system, the acceleration of two objects is affected by the mass of the objects and the tension in the rope or cable.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular acceleration in a pulley system?

Linear acceleration refers to the change in velocity of an object in a straight line, while angular acceleration refers to the change in rotational velocity. In a pulley system, the linear acceleration of the objects is equal, while the angular acceleration of the pulley may be different depending on its mass and radius.

4. How does the mass of the objects affect the acceleration in a pulley system?

The mass of the objects in a pulley system affects the acceleration by determining the difference in force between the objects. The heavier object will experience a greater downward force due to gravity, resulting in a net force and acceleration towards the ground.

5. Can the acceleration of two objects in a pulley system ever be equal?

Yes, the acceleration of two objects in a pulley system can be equal if the masses of the objects are equal. In this case, the net force on both objects will be zero, resulting in no acceleration. However, this is a rare scenario as it would require the masses to be exactly equal and for the pulley to have no mass or friction.